COVER LOVER....

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
9e06fd3877e1f7d614c802aa30b7c200.jpg
Closer to the heart as Rush sang... this whole album, which was a concept( I failed to spot that at 18.)
Merges and dovetails so well... The cover is kinda underplayed...'less is more' approach and the colour and focal point still gets me parusing as I did in January 1977, with Battersea Bridge on stage left. The British Railways 'walk through' BMC and Commer vans.. Hertz trailers and brake vans, portrays a time long gone and reminds me of living near a shunting line. If my memory serves the whole album is fraught with tension and hassle : Rick Wright got fired after rows about Animals, The floating pig that features inside the gatefold was built by the German firm that constructed airships for Led Zeppelin. When floated in mid-air in late 1976...PIG drifted into Heathrow airspace, throwing flights into chaos, the edgy sound was a direct response to punk and lyrical content was connected to Roger Waters marriage problems.... plus the original sleeve idea was to portray a kid finding his parents having sex in bed "Animals".... but was shelved amid fear of being banned. Hipgnosis were contracted to provide a cover as they have done so previously.. Mr 'Technical Ecstasy' Storm Thergason once again sprinkled his magic over what is now recognised fully as a classic... out and in.
So not really 'on the wing'.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online