Country Music Recommendations

bapple326

Reaction score
For all you country lovers.

I've been listening to Cory Smith and Rusty Truck recently.

What else ya got?

Last edited by a moderator:

billtjr51

Reaction score
Re: Country

Whats county? Just kidding. I went to see Waylon Jennings in Austin Tx in 1977 just because a girl I was with liked him. At that point I had not given country much thought. Willie joined him as a special guest. It was a great concert. I like Waylon, Coe, Haggard, and some of that style. I guess I'm stuck in the 70's.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: Country

I know everyone has heard Hootie and the Blowfish, well then you need to check out a spin off from this band........Darius Rucker. Darius has gone country, and doing it quite well, I might add.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
I've always wanted to get into some country but I've never had the ability to find who I'm looking for because I don't know anyone who listens to country. I have Hank I and Johnny Cash and that's about it.

The thing is, a large number of my favorite rock albums are highly country-styled. For example: Harvest, Goldrush & American Stars N Bars by Neil Young. Exile on Mainstreet by the Stones. Mudcrutch by Petty/Mudcrutch. Carnival of Excess by GG Allin.

If somebody could hook me up with a band or two that is very similar to this style of music, I will love you forever and owe you one wish should I ever happen to become a magical genie.

Something minimal, raw, with very self-assured lyrics would be ideal! I'm sure there's plenty of that in country music. Something with extreme or weird lyrics would be good too since typical fare is something I've heard just about enough of. At least it's gotta have a bittersweet quality to it. I don't know.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I will start with Mudcrutch....

the obvious is Tom Petty, and then give John Cougar Mellencamp a try along with the Travelling Wilburys. More toward the country side would be Steve Earle, John Hiatt, and Drive by Truckers.

Reaction score
Nice to see some love for Mudcrutch:grinthumb

some other very country influenced stuff

Atlanta Rhythm Section, they can rock harder than hell, but they have some very country-y songs as well

Georgia Rhythm

Poco, they probably have the most country influence on Rose Of Cimarron(album)

Company's Comin'/SlowPoke(studio version has a really nice electric guitar solo too, but this live version is pretty cool) and Rose Of Cimarron

also, some earlier Linda Ronstadt

Willin' and her cover of Everly Brothers' "When Will I Be Loved"

and one more band for you to check out.. they are a bit more country than the others, and a bit later...

Desert Rose Band

One Step Forward

Reaction score
Here's some of my favorites...

George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today

George Jones - If Drinking Don't Kill Me (Her Memory Will)

Conway Twitty - Hello Darlin'

Loretta Lynn - Deep As Your Pocket

Hank Williams Sr. - The Angel of Death

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online