Cottonmouth Country: Unreleased Skynyrd song with Ronnie?

bobbyg29

Professor of Rock n Roll
Reaction score
Vintage Tune May Grace New Skynyrd Album
Lynyrd Skynyrd

A previously unreleased song featuring Lynyrd Skynyrd's original lineup may surface on the Southern rock band's next studio album, which is expected out in early 2009.

Guitarist Gary Rossington tells Billboard.com that he recently unearthed the song, "Cottonmouth Country," from the archives. "It has Ronnie Van Zant singing and Leon (Wilkeson) on bass and Bob Burns is on drums," Rossington says. "It's a cool track, pretty cool lyrics -- it's about the swamps. And we never put it out with (producer) Al Kooper on the first or second album. We just kind of let it sit there and never finished it. It's pretty well done, but the recording isn't as good as it could be. So we might put that out as a bonus track -- a whole new Skynyrd song nobody's heard."

As for the rest of the album -- Skynyrd's first of new material since 2003's "Vicious Cycle" -- Rossington says that he, frontman Johnny Van Zant and guitarist Rickey Medlocke have been spending time in Nashville working with songwriters.

"We're not doing a country album," Rossington says, "but Skynyrd's always had a little bit of country blood in us. That's where we come from." He says the group has at least 20 songs ready for consideration and hopes to hit the studio in April or May. The group hasn't yet determined who will be producing, though Rossington says the band members will likely co-produce with whomever they choose.

Skynyrd has plenty else going on at the moment. It recently released a deluxe edition of "Street Survivors," the 1977 best-seller released shortly before the plane crash that killed Ronnie Van Zant, guitarist Steve Gaines and his sister, backup singer Cassie Gaines.

Skynyrd is also gearing up for another leg of the Rowdy Frynds Tour with Hank Williams, Jr., and .38 Special, which begins April 4 in Hershey, Pa., and to be part of Kid Rock's Rock N Roll Revival show on May 15 at New York's Madison Square Garden and subsequent dates later this summer.

"He's a great guy, man. We love him, and he's done a lot for us," Rossington says of Rock. "We've calmed down now, so we listen to all the stories about the Kid Rock party bus."

Last edited by a moderator:

Drummer Chris

Reaction score
Cool!
Looking forward to hearing an "new" Skynyrd song with Ronnie singing on it and I'm gonna see the band live this summer for the 1st time in over 14 yrs.

usandthem

Lunatic in the hall
Reaction score
A new Skynyrd song by the bands 70's lineup. Cool.
I personally don't appreciate the reformed versions of Skynyrd. Lynyrd Skynyrd's legend is all the great music before the crash. I think the music is good, but just don't call it Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    5.9 KB · Views: 15

Reaction score
Cool!
Looking forward to hearing an "new" Skynyrd song with Ronnie singing on it and I'm gonna see the band live this summer for the 1st time in over 14 yrs.

im seein em this summer too, well 14 years ago iw oudlnt have been able to talk but i probaly heard some skynyrd once or twice haha, but it should be kind of a cool show,

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
cottonmouth country didn't get released on the 2009 album "God and Guns" for legal reasons.

BUT there are bootlegs of the song all over the net.

There are alot of songs that have never been released, but should be. Ed King seems to be a major issue with the unreleased material. Songs like:

Take Me Down Easy
My Heart Belongs in Dixie
Unfinished Business

Seems to be some controversy over King and this being "HIS" material. And as usual, you can find bootlegs of these songs, too :D

Reaction score
ha, ^ yay for illegal music... I;m not sure where I'd be without it =)

and does anyone else think the new album is pretty bad?
I listened to the first four tracks and just stopped, it did not appeal to me at all

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElviraPeth

Members online