1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cotton, Keays & Morris - Live @ Stoneyfell Winery, Adelaide

Discussion in 'Live Concert Reviews.' started by TheFeldster, Oct 23, 2010.

1. TheFeldster

TheFeldster Mr Kite

[​IMG]
    Do what you wanna do
    Be what you wanna be.
    Yeah!

Alright, I'm going to write a review here now for a concert I've just been to, and drastically edit it tomorrow in the morning when the beer's worn off so that it's readable :)

Anyway, today, well tonight really, but we'll call it today for the sake of making this review as simple as possible, I went to see a band called Cotton, Keays & Morris.

99.99% of you will read that and go "Who on Earth are Cotton, Keays & Boris?", while possibly 1 or 2 Aussies will nod knowingly. 15% of all Internet users also make up statistics, but that's irrelevant.

Anyway, Cotton, Keays & Morris are a touring supergroup made up of prominent 60's Australian rockers. In fact, if you added Billy Thorpe, John Farnham and someone from the Easybeats, you'd have the definitive 60's Australian rock in one conveniently accessible room. But as they don't have Thorpe (who is sadly deceased), Farnham (who is busy with a career still) or any Easybeat (because they've disappeared off the face of the Earth), so we'll focus on the other three.

Darryl Cotton is the former lead singer of the band Zoot, which featured Beeb Birtles of the Little River Band, and "Jessie's Girl" singer Rick Springfield.

Jim Keays in the lead singer of Masters' Apprentices, a band famous for songs such as "Because I Love You" and "Turn Up Your Radio"

Russell Morris is a singer who was famous for songs such as the smash hit "The Real Thing".

So basically, they're all veterans of the industry, and know what they're doing with a stage.

Anyway, I'll get on with reviewing the bloody concert now.

The concert started on a very positive note IMHO, with the improbable, yet highly recognizable opening lyrics "I am he, as you are he and you are me and we are all together" which obviously weren't originally penned by Cotton, Keays or Morris, otherwise the ticket would have set me back a bit more than $40.

The show started with a variety of covers, obviously beginning with "I Am The Walrus" as shown above, and continuing on with songs such as "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" (Bob Dylan) and "Ohio" (Neil Young).

Then the real thing started (haha, I just made a joke which will be appreciated by all 2 Russell Morris fans!), which was made up of the hit songs, such as Zoot's "Eleanor Rigby" and "1x2x3x4", Masters' Apprentices "Turn Up Your Radio" and "Because I Love You" and Russell Morris' "Sweet Sweet Love" and "The Real Thing".

Throughout the show, the three singers (who shared the stage the entire night) were acting the fool on the stage with lines such as:

"Musicians only ever play twice in Adelaide. Once on the way up, and once on the way down. It's good to be back!"

and the like.

The music was spot on, despite the poor acoustics of the room. Overall, a fantastic fun night of music, I bought a CD and got all 3 of the musos to sign it!

I give the show 4 stars out of a possible 5.

I'll also add some youtube videos so people can check out some of the songs that were performed.

RUSSELL MORRIS

ZOOT (DARRYL COTTON)

MASTERS APPRENTICES (JIM KEAYS)

COTTON, KEAYS & MORRIS (LIVE)

MORE INFO ABOUT CKR: Cotton Keays & Morris - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2. LG

LG Fade To Black

Not bad at all Feldy,,,sounds like you enjoyed yourself to the fullest.

Have to smile at the "On the way up and on the way down" comment, I don't think it's quite That bad in Adelaide.;)

3. TheFeldster

TheFeldster Mr Kite

Hahah, they're mostly local lads, so they're allowed to pick on Adelaide :p

Being Adelaide boys, I bet they give Melbourne a good shake-up in shows over there :p

4. LG

LG Fade To Black

I could spend quite a bit of time in your part of Oz without getting bored, after all McLaren Vale and the Barossa Valley are both right there in the neighborhood...:bounce:

5. Harkat

Harkat Senior Member

The Barossa Valley is great for a drive through, testing wines but its so sparse that there isnt anything else out there xD
    Though I do recommend getting yourself up to Renmark, hiring a houseboat and floating down the river! Go in summer so you can swim as well :p

Feldey, these guys are good!!
    You musta had an absolute blast!!

6. LG

LG Fade To Black

Australia produces my favorite varietal of wine Harkat, 100% Cabernet Sauvignon, believe me I could spend a week or two during the wine festivals in the Barossa Valley with no problem at all.:D

7. Gabble Ratchet

Gabble Ratchet Senior Member

Russell Morris is a legend, I am one of his 2 fans :heheh: would have loved to have been there despite my lack of knowledge on Zoot and Master's Apprentices! :peek

Everyone picks on Adelaide, it's a tradition! ;)

And If you ever get yourself over here I could get you a mate's rate on accommodation out in the Barossa! :grinthumb

Swim? In The Murray? :wtf: Bugger that! But the houseboat idea is a very good one, been on one myself and it was an unforgettable experience :grinthumb

8. Harkat

Harkat Senior Member

>_>
    SWIM you lazy stickman!
    or get a doughnut and some rope, tie the doughnut to the rope and the houseboat! :grinthumb

9. Gabble Ratchet

Gabble Ratchet Senior Member

lol the Murray has some of the most dangerous riptides in the world, I'm not risking it for a doughnut. I'd need at least a cheesecake for that ;)

10. Harkat

Harkat Senior Member

You wussy!! xD
    I been swimming in it, doughnut-ing, knee-boarding and diving in it
    Didnt find any rips in it though