Julian Bream
Manuel Barrueco

favorite piece

Rodriego's Concierto de Aranjuez

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I would add Liona Boyd to the list.

I am kind of embarrassed to admit that I don't have much Classical guitar in the collection, one or two of John Williams albums and one of Julian's but that is all...:blush:

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
huh never heard of Liona Boyd just looked her up sounds interesting. I'm a classical guitar nut I've got about 40 or 50 classical guitar albums. My friend doesn't understand how I can like classical guitar and not even play the guitar. :heheh: I played guitar long ago and then saw Bream, williams and segovia over a 6 month period and gave up.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Well seeing she's Canadian and attractive I have watched her on numerous television programs up here Aktivator, she is well known in these parts.

I can't sing, play an instrument, but I make up for it by the enjoyment I get from listening to the masters play.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
Your what we call in the business.. "A Spectator" :grinthumb
:heheh:yeah I guess I am too although I like to take pictures so sometimes I'm press (sometimes known as the ememy) :heheh: Although I'm not a critic so I don't write reviews.

Craig in Indy

Your cool Uncle
Reaction score
My older brother was big into classical guitar when we were young. At that time, Liona Boyd was not as well-respected among classical guitar snobs as some other guitarists. I never heard her play, live or on recordings, so I can't say for myself, but a number of people thought that because of her appearance she was "marketed" more than her talents deserved. A cynical view, to be sure, but if true, it wouldn't be the first time. I think there's a female Latin American cellist or violinist whose name escapes me who's a real stinker but she's got a ton of records out there because she looks good.

Anyway, back to guitar...The really big guns back then were Segovia (of course) and John Williams (not to be confused with John Williams of Star Wars fame). Julian Bream was up there too, but if memory serves, he was primarily a lutist who was able to make more of a name for himself on guitar, mainly because no one listened to lute music. Still, he was very good, and I'll never forget the joint Williams-Bream concert I got to go to in Ann Arbor back in the late '70s or early '80s. It was fantastic. I still have the program from it, tucked away in the cover of the 2-record LP they recorded on that tour, with notes I made in the margins. How's that for classical-music-geekiness? ;)

On this side of the Pond, the big name was Christopher Parkening, whose playing was unassailable, even if (as I've been told) he instructed his EMI/Angel engineers to roll all the highs off of his recordings to eliminate string noise, making his records almost unlistenable, to me anyway. Hearing his recordings always makes me feel like my head is in a fog, like I'm listening in some sort of fever dream. But he's great, and for a while he took a young player under his wing, a kid named David Breaugh, or Breagh, I can't remember which. It doesn't matter how it was spelled because he changed his name to David Brandon. The only reason I mention it is because when the guy was in his early teens, my brother took lessons from him. My brother was a student at Michigan State at the time, and his teacher had to be driven to their lessons by his mother because he wasn't old enough to drive! Since the following album came out, I haven't heard anything more about him:

41JHM57122L_SS500_.jpg

Nowadays I have to admit, I know next to nothing about who's who in the classical guitar world.

Julie

Reaction score
Hi,

I play classical guitar. One of the greatest pieces I ever played is Usher Waltz by Nikita Koshkin. It's amazing! All of his stuff that I heard is very experimentary and influenced by the rock scene. I couldn't find him playing his own stuff, but of course, John Williams: (I think he played every single classical guitar piece that exists on this planet!:wtf:)

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score
very impressed Julez my friend who is a classical guitarist plays that one too its quite a feat. Yeah Johnny boy plays it all. :lol:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online