Circus of Power

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Dam!! Never heard of these guys before but they ROK!!! Thanks man for sharing.. The Four Horseman intro was a crack up with those two Old ladies..:heheh:
I'll have to pick up some of their stuff.. What would you recommend for starters????

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
PJC.. I hope you don't mind that I include a write up on them since I think quite a few will like them and want to know a little bit about their roots..

Biography by Vincent Jeffries

Circus of Power practically personified New York's sleaze rock scene during the late '80s and early '90s. Despite the band's failure to reach radio or MTV acceptance, they managed several major-label releases and toured with some of the biggest names in rock. The group's music and image had an edge that -- while similar to many of America's post-Guns N' Roses gutter-centric outfits -- reflected their all-important New York City roots. Their urban jungle was a different one; it was more jungle-like in its toughness and stark reality. Unfortunately, the contrast inherent in the L.A. gutter rock of L.A. Guns and other West Coast bands was exactly what made them mysterious and interesting to their fans. Circus of Power came off as tough alright, but their borrowed lifestyle message seemed out of place at best. Despite all this, the band deserves some credit for their capable songcraft and singer Alex Mitchell's better-than-average voice. Perhaps all these guys needed was a hit to propel them to the rock star status they were so obviously trying to posture their way into. But when so many bands were making almost exactly the same moves, playing exactly the same types of songs about the exactly the same subjects (drugs, chicks, cars, etc...) with more style and geographic credibility, it's hard to think that Circus of Power weren't a little lucky to receive the run that they got.

After slugging it out in the New York club scene for a while in the '80s, Circus of Power were signed to RCA Records and in 1988 their eponymous debut was shipped. The lineup for this first full-length consisted of Mitchel (vocals), Ryan Maher (drums), Rickey Beck Maler (guitars), and bassist Gary Sunshine. The "blues-based" sleaze rock direction of Circus of Power set the standard for the group's successive discs with its mid-tempo swagger and stories of debauchery in all its varieties. The group followed up their debut with 1989's Still Alive; 1990's Vices followed as the band made their first lineup change. Sunshine moved from bass to second guitar and new bassist Zowie was brought into the band. RCA was unimpressed with the lineup and record sales, and the group was eventually dropped from the label. Columbia picked the band up shortly thereafter, and Circus of Power spent some extra time crafting the debut for their second label. During this time, Zowie was replaced on bass by Mark Frappeir and Maher left the group to be replaced by drummer Victor Indrizzo. In 1993, Magic and Madness was released on Columbia, but by this time, even the best bands of this pedigree were struggling as the hard-drinking, hard living, long-haired rock & roll of the late '80s had gone thoroughly out of style. The group disbanded in the mid-'90s, but has occasionally performed one-off shows since. Of all the Circus of Power members, guitarist Sunshine has been the busiest, performing and recording with NY Loose and the Silos, among other national projects.

PJC

Reaction score
Once of Wigan (UK)...now Peoria Heights Illinois
Don't mind at all ...

Here ..the Four Horsemen Bio..
History:
An excellent 70's style hard rock band with ample amounts of swagger and bad attitude, songs about alcohol, sex and more alcohol were their trademark. However The Four Horsemen suffered more setbacks and tragedies then any band deserves.
Formed in Hollywood, California by Frank C. Starr (vocals ex-Alien and Sin), Dave Lizmi (guitar), Haggis (guitar, former bassist of The Cult and Zodiac Mindwarp when he went by the name of Kid Chaos), Ben Pape (bass) and Ken 'Dimwit' Montgomery (drums). 1991's full-length debut was a hard rock masterpiece, but business problems and internal fighting killed any potential they had and Starr walked away.
The first tragedy would occur when Dimwit passed away from a drug overdose on September 27, 1994 after the band had reformed. Starr and Lizmi decided to dedicate the album to their deceased friend and were joined by Pharoah (bass) and Chuck Biscuits (drums, of Danzig), but Randy Cooke soon replaced Biscuits. However, before mastering of the album was complete the band would be dealt another blow. In November of 1995 a drunk driver would hit Frank C. Starr while driving his motorcycle down Sunset Strip. He was sent flying, suffering massive head trauma and placed in a coma. While waiting for Starr's recovery, the rest of the band would tour for the album with Ron Young of Little Caesar on vocals, but no new music materialized.
Unfortunately Starr would never come around, and finally passed away on June 18, 1999. A very sad conclusion to an extremely talented and promising band. Two albums and an EP of kick-ass rock'n'roll is the legacy left behind from one of the hard rock world's unsung heroes. Cooke has gone on to work with many of the biggest names in Canadian music.

PJC

Reaction score
Once of Wigan (UK)...now Peoria Heights Illinois
As for the music ...both bands debut albums are the best ...Circus of Power ~Circus of Power and The Four Horsemen~Nobody Said it Was Easy
There is also a live cd of early COP stuff called Still Alive ...

Hope that all helps ...

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I am impressed with both bands. I love Sleaze. :) Although some sleaze rock is also glam. I am definitely going to get these albums :tup:

I found their complete discography.

here is another COP tune from their "Vices" album:

vices.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
madness_cover.jpg

Their last album release of 1993. Excellent rock.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
All 3 CD's rock, Thumper. I am impressed...and I think they are worthy of album reviews :D

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
All 3 CD's rock, Thumper. I am impressed...and I think they are worthy of album reviews :D

So far I'm really liking those guys.. Great sound.. Even the Four Horsemen kicked butt..I'm trying to get my hands on both bands.. I only have Best buys ,walmart and Frye to choose from and they are sooooo alternative stocked..:wa:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online