Chilliwack (Official Thread)

Berndawg

Reaction score
Re: Chilliwack

Chilliwack, like many Canadian Bands did not have the success that they had in their native land. The music industry was not as well developed in Canada as it was in the US and the UK. Bands such as Prism, Streetheart, Harlequin,
April Wine, The Stampeders, Honeymoon Suite, Trooper were huge in Canada, but could never find similar success elsewhere. They would have a hit or two in the US, but many more here in Canada. Had these bands been American, they would have had much more success. It's too bad, because bands that were not nearly as good made way more money.

Many critics have deemed Chilliwack as the best Canadian Band of it's time.
I wouldn't agree, they were good, but I find alot of their songs kind of
whiny. Most of their albums had a few good tunes and others that seemed
like filler.

joe

Reaction score
Re: Chilliwack

^^^A lot of Canadian bands found it hard to break into the US market in the 70's. I don't think it was due to the under developed Canadian music industry, but more to actual musical quality content IMO. That could be argued I guess.

Another factor was that many Canadian radio stations didn't play Canadian content until the early 70's when the CRTC introduced it's Canadian content regulations, a certain % of Canadian artists had to be played on radio stations. With that a lot of Canadian artists recieved more air play thus equating to hits here in Canada and somewhat gaining exposure in the US. All in all a good thing IMO.

One example, The Guess Who made it big in the states with out the help of any gov't entity, it was the music alone that made the charts in the US.

Chilliwack had some great tunes back in the day, though like you said there was some weak tracks on most of thier albums in which I agree, however they really hit it big when the followed the AOR/pop/rock formula of the early 80's. Not of my taste. I prefer the 70's albums, especially Dreams,Dreams,Dreams. I guess I'm partial to Chilliwack as they were the second concert I saw with Prism back in the 1979. Trooper and Blue Nothern being the first.:D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online