Charlie Watts Will Likely Miss Rolling Stones’ 2021 Tour

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
A spokesman for Charlie Watts confirmed Wednesday evening (August 4, 2021) that the Rolling Stones drummer is unlikely to be available for the resumption of the band’s USA No Filter Tour this fall.

The spokesman said: “Charlie has had a procedure which was completely successful, but I gather his doctors this week concluded that he now needs proper rest and recuperation. With rehearsals starting in a couple of weeks it’s very disappointing to say the least, but it’s also fair to say no one saw this coming.”

In a statement, Watts said: “For once my timing has been a little off. I am working hard to get fully fit but I have today accepted on the advice of the experts that this will take a while. After all the fans’ suffering caused by Covid I really do not want the many RS fans who have been holding tickets for this Tour to be disappointed by another postponement or cancellation. I have therefore asked my great friend Steve Jordan to stand in for me.”

Jordan said: “It is an absolute honour and a privilege to be Charlie’s understudy and I am looking forward to rehearsing with Mick, Keith and Ronnie. No one will be happier than me to give up my seat on the drum-riser as soon as Charlie tells me he is good to go.”

Watts turned 80 on June 2. When the 2021 tour begins, Mick Jagger will be 78, Keith Richards 77, and Ronnie Wood, the youngest, will be 74.

The Rolling Stones – No Filter USA 2021 Tour (Tickets available here and here)
Sep 26 – St. Louis, MO – The Dome at America’s Center
Sep 30 – Charlotte, NC – Bank of America Stadium
Oct 04 – Pittsburgh, PA – Heinz Field
Oct 09 – Nashville, TN – Nissan Stadium
Oct 13 – New Orleans, LA – New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival
Oct 17 – Los Angeles, CA – SoFi Stadium
Oct 24 – Minneapolis, MN – U.S. Bank Stadium
Oct 29 – Tampa, FL – Raymond James Stadium
Nov 02 – Dallas, TX – Cotton Bowl Stadium
Nov 06 – Las Vegas, NV – Allegiant Stadium
Nov 11 – Atlanta, GA – Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Nov 15 – Detroit, MI – Ford Field