Charlie Rich/John Denver

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Two of my all time favorite songs are Charlie Rich's big crossover hit "Most Beautful Girl In The World" and "Behind Closed Doors".When John Denver won Country entertainer of the year I think for 1975,Rich considered it an outrage,saying that Denver was no TRUE country artist.Anyone agree here?Do you feel Denver recorded SOME country but was actually pop?

Mr. Bob Dobolina

Reaction score
I'd say that yeah, John Denver was a pop artist who recorded some country tunes. He also recorded folk and Christmas tunes. I'm not sure what a "true" country artist is. Steven Tyler has done a country album, and the guy from Hootie and the Blowfish is having much success on the country charts. I don't care how you label it, if I like the tune, that's all that matters to me. I like John Denver.

PAN Nexus

Waking The Dreamer
Reaction score
Folkie Wuss Singer-Songwriter.

Two of my all time favorite songs are Charlie Rich's big crossover hit "Most Beautful Girl In The World" and "Behind Closed Doors".When John Denver won Country entertainer of the year I think for 1975,Rich considered it an outrage,saying that Denver was no TRUE country artist.Anyone agree here?Do you feel Denver recorded SOME country but was actually pop?

I wouldn't even consider him "pop", really. More of a folkie singer/songwriter than anything. He was such a wuss, though, that I would honestly have to classify a lot of his recordings as "easy listening". :rolleyes: Strictly granny music. :D

I'll give him credit for one thing, though: THE GUY COULD WRITE. I like the Irish Rovers' version of his "Rhymes & Reasons" and the Everly Brothers' version of his "Poems, Prayers, & Promises". I just happen to find his voice intolerably annoying. I think if I had to listen to more than two of his songs in a row, I would probably kill myself. :pullhair::gig

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online

Members online