Charlie (Official Thread)

Terra812

Reaction score
Charlie Official Website

Charlie was a British rock band that achieved mediocre success in the mid 70's and early 80's.

charlie-band.jpg

In the 70's the band consisted of

* Terry Thomas, Lead vocals & guitar
* John Anderson, Bass, Backing vocals
* Steve Gadd, Drums
* Julian Colbeck, Keyboards, Backing Vocals (replaced Martin Smith after the first album)

I don't think they ever headlined a large venue although they did open for some notable bands like
Focus, Bad Company, Fleetwood Mac, Styx, BTO and the Doobie Bros.

They released four albums in the 70's

* Fantasy Girls (1976)
* No Second Chance (1977)
* Lines (1978)
* Fight Dirty (1979)

Charlie1.jpg
Charlie2.jpg
Charlie3.jpg
Charlie4.jpg

The first song I remember hearing on the radio was "Johnny Hold Back", off of their second album, and quickly went out and picked it up. I enjoyed their sound and Terry Thomas' vocals. No Second Chance was an influential album for me... more for the cover than the music though. Come on!, What adolescent boy wouldn't sit in his closed room having his way with
that cover? :D Actually that cover sparked my interest in anything "Beat" and sent me off reading books like Naked Lunch and The Subterraneans (note Ginsberg's HOWL on the bed).

They averaged about 3 or 4 good songs per album while the rest wasn't very memorable. Since there is no Charlie thread here I thought I'd start one.

Discography:

Fantasy Girls (1976)
No Second Chance (1977) - US #111
Lines (1978) - US #75
Fight Dirty (1979) - US #60
Good Morning America (1981) - US #201
Here Comes Trouble (1982)
Charlie (1983) - US #145
In Pursuit of Romance (1986)
Kitchens Of Distinction (2009)

Fantasy Girls - Prisoners

No Second Chance - Johnny Hold Back

No Second Chance - Turning To You

Lines - L.A. Dreamer (Ohh!!!...Sweet Sound of Vinyl):grinthumb

Fight Dirty - Killer Cut

Fight Dirty - Just One More Smiling Face (Love these lyrics)

LOU/REALM

Reaction score
re: The Official Charlie Thread

As far as 70s rock bands go Terra CHARLIE missed the net. Over the years.. I do remember seeing the album covers to 2 of them.They sound "tidy" with fine vocal harmonies.....I never recall them getting any radio airplay.They deserved better Thanks for bringing them to the attention of C.R.F

rtbuck

Reaction score

I have their Fight Dirty & Lines records. In my area "She Loves to be in Love" was a very minor hit but the reason I bought their records was because I seen them open for Foreigner when Foreigner were on their 'Head Games' tour. They were a decent opening band & they did have one memory which was a first for me...They were the first band I ever seen in concert or on TV that used 2 drummers (I know they were not the first but for me at that time they were the first I had seen). I agree w/ Terra, there's only 3 or 4 good songs on the albums but they're cool to throw on once in a while because their style is different from what I usually listen to. Thanks for starting a thread Terra!!!

Terra812

Reaction score

They were a decent opening band & they did have one memory which was a first for me...They were the first band I ever seen in concert or on TV that used 2 drummers (I know they were not the first but for me at that time they were the first I had seen).

This from their website:

1977 - The band go to the US as opening act for a Doobie Brothers ‘sheds’ tour on the back of Minute By Minute. This heady experience was marred only by Steve Gadd getting his hand broken by a security guard (!) in Lousiville, KY. Doobies drum tech and Charlie admirer Shep Lonsdale steps in to save the day. After 6 weeks it was back to the UK to write and record Lines.

1978 - The band recruit Shep as second drummer and the band fly off to promote the album in New York.

Charlie

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I liked Charlie for years, and have 3 of their albums. Definitely under the radar for most people, I stumbled across them when a late night FM DJ was playing "Lines" on a Sunday night. So I bought that album Second Chance and Fight Dirty, besides I am a Huge Steve Gadd fan and anything he is involved with I will usually check out.

I was going to write a thread for them eventually so thanks Terra for mentioning them.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

This band definitely went under my radar. They do sound great! This is the problem with radio, especially back in the 70's. These bands that were on smaller (basically unknown labels) didn't stand a chance of going mainstream and getting noticed.

I am obtaining 3 of their albums.......:tup:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^One of the best things about Charlie I always enjoyed was they are a "Busy" band, all kinds of little things going on all the time musically far more sophisticated than many people might realize at first.

And Terra I have made it our "Official Charlie Thread"...:grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Re: The Official Charlie Thread

OKay, this group was still active in the 80's and has released an album in 2009..which I truly like, "Kitchens of Distinction"

Charlie-Kitchens-Of-Distinction.jpg

Infact, I am listening to it now. I cant find anything online to post for listening but I will upload some vids/songs so everyone can hear this album

:good

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Is it the old line-up or just Terry Thomas with a few friends?

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Terry Thomas and Colbeck on keys. Thomas did most of the instruments himself......but the album is fantastic! I am busy uploading as I type this so you can hear it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online