Charlie (Official Thread)

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
Re: The Official Charlie Thread

I listened to Fight Dirty yesterday, for the first time in ages. You are right Bruce, they were a tight band and they also had effective harmonies. I always liked Killer Cut, which I recently learned from Wikipedia was a hit in the US. Although they were British, Charlie were almost unknown here. Steve Gadd was an excellent drummer and I could not believe my eyes when I read on Wiki that he had become a drum technician for Iron Maiden. It's a bit like Clive Brooks working for Nick Mason.

When I listen to Charlie, I expect to hear a guitar or keyboard solo, which never comes. Guitar and keyboard solos aren't everything, but a few here and there would just perk them up. It would make them sound a bit more like Toto or Boston.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: The Official Charlie Thread

Yeah I was surprised when I read that about Steve myself...he deserves better than that.

Charlie are just a fun band for me, like REO Speedwagon, City Boy, The Babys and even the Cars as well as numerous others back then, but I like their musicianship and am a big Terry Thomas fan.

Iceman

Reaction score
Here are a couple of links for those that are interested:

The bands website:
charlie-music.com

Wikepedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charlie_(band)

Martin Smith:
Welcome to Garage Studio

I wrote Mr. Smith a fan letter almost a year ago (I'm sure he'd like to hear from you all as well). Here was his response:

Hi Mike,

It's really nice to hear from you.I'm still in regular touch with Terry and we meet up for a curry now and then.I talk to John And Steve rarely but we are still in touch. I'm currently in two bands 'The Jemima Price Band' and 'The David Hay Band' Both have websites you might want to check out, just Google those names.

I do a lot of composing for Universal Producion Music and the rest of my time is taken up with Producing or just hiring the studio to people.

If you haven't already found it the website is garagestudio.net or you can follow events on Facebook.

As to getting back together again, never say never.

All the best,Martin.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score
That is a very enjoyable video and the first time I have ever SEEN Charlie. It's a little bit heavier than the material I have heard on Fight Dirty.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Members online