Charlie (Official Thread)

Terra812

Reaction score
Re: The Official Charlie Thread

^^One of the best things about Charlie I always enjoyed was they are a "Busy" band, all kinds of little things going on all the time musically far more sophisticated than many people might realize at first.

And Terra I have made it our "Official Charlie Thread"...:grinthumb

First... Thanks! :D

I know that Terry Thomas and Julian Colbeck stayed pretty busy... TT was producing the Brian Howe era Bad Company albums as well as some others and JC worked with Vitamin Z, YES, Steve Hackett.

Kitchens Of Distinction began as a Terry Thomas solo project, but as the finished product included contributions from Martin Smith and Julian Colbeck, the decision was made to credit the CD to Charlie.

Writes Terry: “I got my good friend Steve Alexander (Jeff Beck/Duran Duran and many others) to play the drums which we recorded at old favourite studios Livingston. 14 songs in 2 days!

“I then took it back to my studio and got various people I had worked with to contribute Janne Jarvis (Hate Gallery) bass on 2 tracks Charlie Barratt (ex Fixx) bass on 2 tracks. Andy Bloom played guitar on 2 tracks. Julian sent me his parts from California, and Martin played slide. Steve Gadd is now Iron Maiden’s tour manager and wasn't around. John Anderson has retired from playing, and Eugene's still in California. So I did the rest myself.

“When you're in your own studio working on your own songs time becomes immaterial so it took me a fair while to finish but I did."

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Definitely some talented help on the album for sure. I am curious now so I'll have to check out the CD Magic is gloating about one of these days.

Thanks for the background info Terra.:hab:

Terra812

Reaction score

Terry Thomas and Colbeck on keys. Thomas did most of the instruments himself......but the album is fantastic! I am busy uploading as I type this so you can hear it.

Cool!! :grinthumb Thanks!! I've only heard the title track off their website and since I actually do build Kitchens of Distinction I wasn't sure what to make of it :grinthumb

kitchen1a.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

:bonk:

This album is heavily jazz infused, terra. You will enjoy it while you build those Kitchens of Destinction

:cheers2

rtbuck

Reaction score

I have to find that one too!! Thanks Magic!

I don't have 'Kitchens of Distinction' but I do have the "Friends of Distinction" (they had a soulful hit in the 70's with "Grazing in the Grass"!!)

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

That must have taken a while, I'll play them later today, I think I'll give Lines a spin when I am done my chores in a couple of hours.:D

Terra812

Reaction score

You ROCK Magic :guitar:

I'll give it a good listen when I can turn it up.

Terra812

Reaction score

-

After one pass some of the standout tracks for me are

Blue Sky Bullshit, Love the intro :grinthumb
Get A Life, Popstar, The Art of Cool, Don't Let Go

Liked the music on West Coast Thing and Alcohol ... lyrics??

Rock 101 - Never Ever mention Lindsay Lohan in a song.

But you whiskey drinkers they wanna kick you in the balls :oyea:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online