1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlie Musselwhite

Discussion in 'Blues & Jazz' started by newdawnfades, Jul 13, 2006.

1. newdawnfades

newdawnfades Senior Member

Admittedly I don't know much about him, but have heard his name in the past. He's playing locally and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with him and his live shows. So is he worth seeing? $15 at the door.

2. pooldude

pooldude Older than Dirt

Re: Charlie Musselwhite - Worth Seeing?

Charlie Musselwhite has been putting out blues albums since '66-67. He was recognized, along with Paul Butterfield, as one of the best white blues harpists of the era.

[​IMG]

Charlie used to live in the E Bay area of San Francisco, & I saw the Charlie Musselwhite Blues Band play many times when I was in college, including free Sunday afternoon outdoor gigs @ Berkeley's Provo Park, very near the Fantasy Records office, home of Credence Clearwater Revival.

I listened to some tracks from his 2006 release, & Charlie is still wailing, sounding vocally a little bit like Greg Allman, only with a harder edge.

[​IMG]

3. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Senior Member

Money spent to see Charlie Musselwhite is money well-spent. I`ve seen him twice...if you like the blues it`s a can`t miss.

Jack

4. Martha Washington

Martha Washington eat it! it's GOOD for you

I'd love to see the guy. I got a record of his and it was okay. his singing voice is okay. BUT, when that guy plays his harmonica nobody can touch him.
    I'd say he's the best at what he does. Almost every time I hear a bitchin' harmonica solo on a record, I look at the liner notes and guess who it is?

5. newdawnfades

newdawnfades Senior Member

I realized I never followed up on this post. Well, one thing is for sure. The $10 I paid at the door was a deep discount. After hearing him sing and blast on the harp, I was pretty impressed.

I'd say his singing voice was pretty good, and I sure enjoyed how he just came out and said hello to everyone, walking through the audience, grabbed his harp and went about his business. Very approachable guy too. Hearing him play really made me want to pick up my harp and pretend I am even a fraction of a bit as good as he was.

God, there's nothing like listening to some of the old style blues. I enjoyed it, hope he comes back again soon.

6. Garrett

Garrett ✯ Blues Man ✯

Charlie Musselwhite

[​IMG]

January 31, 1944

Charlie Musselwhite / Offical Site

[​IMG]

1. Rambler’s Blues
    2. Dig the Pain
    3. The Well
    4. Where Hwy 61 Runs
    5. Sad and Beautiful World