Charlie Musselwhite

newdawnfades

Reaction score
Admittedly I don't know much about him, but have heard his name in the past. He's playing locally and I was wondering if anyone is familiar with him and his live shows. So is he worth seeing? $15 at the door.

pooldude

Older than Dirt
Reaction score
Re: Charlie Musselwhite - Worth Seeing?

Charlie Musselwhite has been putting out blues albums since '66-67. He was recognized, along with Paul Butterfield, as one of the best white blues harpists of the era.

c_musselwhiteblues.jpg

Charlie used to live in the E Bay area of San Francisco, & I saw the Charlie Musselwhite Blues Band play many times when I was in college, including free Sunday afternoon outdoor gigs @ Berkeley's Provo Park, very near the Fantasy Records office, home of Credence Clearwater Revival.

I listened to some tracks from his 2006 release, & Charlie is still wailing, sounding vocally a little bit like Greg Allman, only with a harder edge.

Musselwhite.jpg

Martha Washington

eat it! it's GOOD for you
Reaction score

I'd love to see the guy. I got a record of his and it was okay. his singing voice is okay. BUT, when that guy plays his harmonica nobody can touch him.
I'd say he's the best at what he does. Almost every time I hear a bitchin' harmonica solo on a record, I look at the liner notes and guess who it is?

newdawnfades

Reaction score

I realized I never followed up on this post. Well, one thing is for sure. The $10 I paid at the door was a deep discount. After hearing him sing and blast on the harp, I was pretty impressed.

I'd say his singing voice was pretty good, and I sure enjoyed how he just came out and said hello to everyone, walking through the audience, grabbed his harp and went about his business. Very approachable guy too. Hearing him play really made me want to pick up my harp and pretend I am even a fraction of a bit as good as he was.

God, there's nothing like listening to some of the old style blues. I enjoyed it, hope he comes back again soon.

Garrett

✯ Blues Man ✯
Reaction score

Charlie Musselwhite

cm12.jpg

January 31, 1944

Charlie Musselwhite / Offical Site

musselwhitethewell.jpg

1. Rambler’s Blues
2. Dig the Pain
3. The Well
4. Where Hwy 61 Runs