Censorship of music

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I was watching the local news this morning, and I was shocked at some of the behavior of the local graduating college kids. Their behavior was so appalling that 2 sororities and 1 fraternity is now banned for next year.

I am trying to make a link to the media, whether it be video or audio, in the decline of moral standards and the unleashing of bad behavior in young adults and children.

Do you think there is a link? Would strict sensorship of the media, similar to that of the 1960's, help to repair moral standards?

Do you think music has any influence on behavior?

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I don't think music really is that big a factor, your parents and how they raised you, the way you interact with your siblings, the friends you keep and you predisposition genetically or otherwise for doing ridiculous, boorish and tasteless things. A little silliness is one thing, but hazing, bullying, ******, defiance of authority they seem to be on the rise or maybe we just hear about them more now.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
Censorship is ridiculous.

It's not music or movies or video games that are responsible, it's how a kid is raised. I was watching horror movies when I was still sucking on a friggin pacifier and I never grew up to become a serial killer because I was taught what is right and wrong and what is real and fake. I didn't swear because my parents taught me it was wrong (though I can sometimes sound like a sailor these days).

If you are properly raised to know how to distinguish between what is acceptable and what isn't, musical content wont 'make' you do things you shouldn't.

I totally agree with you.

Also, with all the misheard lyrics in songs .. you never know what is really being sung, plus countries and even cities have different slang expressions. What is deemed to be off colour in one place .. is just regional slang.

It seems that some people always want a hidden meaning in songs, books or movies.

On the Who's BBC Session CD, the BBC announcer asked the Who if the lyrics to "I'm a Boy" meant anything and they replied ... "None of our songs have a hidden meaning ... We just write songs" :grinthumb

Slip'nn2Darkness

Sub Sonic Soul Shaker
Reaction score
Hmmm I tried to multy quote your post Magic, but it didn't work..I'll try again after i figure out how to do that..

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The point I am trying to make with the College story....These kids are from sorotities and fraternities, which are suppose to be the model citizens of the university. If thier behavior is so bad, to get their club banned for the next school year, what does that say for society as a whole?

What is the problem? What can we do to fix things? Would sensorship help?

Is the old saying see no evil, hear no evil....really true? I am not a fan of sensorship, but what if our media is harmful to developing minds.

Sure it is easy to say, parents need to monitor and control their children, but with such easy accesibility to things these days, it is impossible to monitor everything your child gets exposed to.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
I'm not a parent but maybe instead of hiding everything from your children and making it seem that much more enticing to them be aware of what's out there and be able to present it to your kids and teach them how to embrace it in a positive way. Teach them that it is art! That it is entertainment but to use these things outside that realm is not the same thing. I have no sympathy for parents that live under a rock and can be swindled so easily by their kids and then wonder later down the road why they ended up getting in trouble. It's because parents treated everything as taboo making the kids want it more and therefore accessing it under the wrong circumstances. Most of the kids I know that were raised like this either ended up being three times as bad or so naive entering the real world they were always a step behind in their lives.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
My point was it is just as important the values the kids learn from their parents and common sense are ingrained in them so the Don't act like idiots when they go to school.

I would say the damage if any done by listening to music no matter which genre, is dwarfed by your childhood and how you were raised. I do feel the lack of "Corporal Punishment" when warranted which was pretty much outlawed after I graduated from school has had more to do with this than almost anything else. Discipline sometimes is a hard lesson to learn, and that plus common courtesy is really becoming rare in many of the kids of today. It is a combination of cause and effect from numerous things in society and how the generations have changed how we treat children and teenagers, what we see now is the end result of the softening of parents, both parents working to support their families, the internet exposing children to anything they want to see, and the massive violence of some video games I think has desensitized the modern generation.

After all how else can we explain the huge popularity of the new Gladiatorial combat leagues that the new generation can't get enough of, I firmly believe the video game industry is part of the reason beating people to a pulp is so acceptable now, reminds me of the days of the Roman Coliseum which is tragic.

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score
It's not a big concern to me. Music is actually much less moderated than TV and film. I don't care if Starbucks doesn't have a CD, I get my CDs from Amazon. The Parental Advisory sticker is essentially meanignless, there's no law that says you need to be a certain age to purchase those records. Some stores set limits but most do not and even more don't enforce.

Of course I don't think music should be censored in any way, shape, or form. Were the 1950s squeaky-clean? Nope. If you shelter people you only force activities underground and give them an even more hospitable environment to fester in.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
^^^^ Magic:

With college kids, it's often "monkey see, monkey do" or they "dare" each other or see things done in the media. I don't think that this reflects on society as a whole.

Nor do these kids realize that stunts will go on their college transcripts and follow them around for a long time.

I'm not saying that the parents are to blame but they do factor in how their children behavior to a certain degree. Hit the parents in their wallets and you'll see a change in behavior.

I believe in being responsible for your actions, even in the little things.

One neighbor (who had addiction issues) once told me that she saw my young cat eating another neighbor's tulips. I immediately went over to the other neighbor and offered to replace or play for the tulips and apologized. We had to laugh when we looked over to see that it was squirrels and not the cat eating the tulips.

Another neighbor told me that a cat pissed on her cushions and that she had to throw them out, she continued to tell me that she didn't think that it was my cats but why say anything if that is what she thought? I immediately told her that I would pay for half the price of new cushions, just in case, one of my brats was responsible. Later, I went over and told her to charge the entire price to me. She told me that she doubted that my cats did it and thanked me but didn't want any money.

Btw ~ I don't believe music (even 'kill the white girl' rap) causes problems in society ...

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'm not a parent but maybe instead of hiding everything from your children and making it seem that much more enticing to them be aware of what's out there and be able to present it to your kids and teach them how to embrace it in a positive way. Teach them that it is art! That it is entertainment but to use these things outside that realm is not the same thing. .

I agree completely with you, Sooty. But there is one problem in your message, most parents dont know what is out there. They wont listen to Rap music or death metal, nor do they play the hostile video games (or any video games for that matter). How can a parent teach their kids what is or isn't reality if they dont know what their kids are listening to or playing with?

As a parent, I try to be as informed as possible, and I wont block out something from my own listening and viewing. But I cant be aware of everything, therefore, I depend on experts in the media to pre-screen (sensor if you will) what is out there. I am a firm supporter of the film and music rating guides.....the PG thingy :)

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online