2002: In Praise of the Last Prophet
2003: I Look I See
2003: Night of Remembrance
2005: Indian Ocean
2006: Footsteps in the Light
2006: An Other Cup (Yusuf)
2008: I Look, I See 2
2009: Roadsinger (Yusuf)

Usually when people think of people like Cat Stevens, a lot of his music they usually remember is stuff he did in the 70s. Cat Stevens actually came onto the scene around 1966 and recorded two albums for Decca - His Debut album being Matthew & Son and then New Masters album. Unfortunately in 1968 contracted tuberculosis during which stage only recorded a couple of song as a result in 1968 and in 1969 recorded The View From The Top and Where Are You - which afterwards finished his connection with that record company and moving to Island to do Tea for the Tillerman.

Here's just a few of the classic 60s songs I could found from Cat! :D

Portobello Road

I Love My Dog

Matthew & Son

I'm Gonna Get Me A Gun

The First Cut Is The Deepest

I've Found a Love

Here Comes My Baby

The View From The Top (1969)

Where Are You (1969)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Cat Stevens

I like Cat Stevens...here are the albums I have in the collection. I see you have placed him in the 60's CP/M, which is fine but he was at his zenith in the 70's, by far the best songs he recorded come from that decade.

Mona Bone Jakon
Tea For The Tillerman
Teaser And The Firecat
Catch Bull At Four
Foreigner
Buddha And The Chocolate Box.

I find those albums have the essential songs by Cat, during his prime.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

...but he was at his zenith in the 70's, by far the best songs he recorded come from that decade.

I agree. I really like his output from the 70's. It's a pity he went strange.

:wa:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Lord Grendel wrote:

I like Cat Stevens...here are the albums I have in the collection. I see you have placed him in the 60's CP/M, which is fine but he was at his zenith in the 70's, by far the best songs he recorded come from that decade.

I deliberately put this in the 60s thread for good reason, all the songs I've posted were done in the 60s prior to Tea for the Tillerman. And I know Cat was at his height in the 70s, but so many people make out he did nothing in the 60s which is so false and to give him credit a lot of that fame he had in the 70s would never had happened thanks to a lot of the music I posted in this thread.

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Hepcat wrote:

I agree. I really like his output from the 70's. It's a pity he went strange.

:wa:

What do you mean he went strange, he's done another album since his converted his faiths and it's a great album too - so you should critise him until you've heard "An Other Cup".

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nothing he has done since the 70's is nearly as good CP/M. I don't doubt he has done a decent album but his creative Peak years were the 70's beyond all doubt.

As for going strange, Hepcat is right, when he converted to his new faith, he renounced all his worldly possessions and became a beggar in the streets. I don't know what you consider strange, but that qualifies on every count in my opinion. I was glad to hear he had recovered his sanity somewhat and started living a normal life again including recording new music.

Hepcat

retired
Reaction score

What do you mean he went strange, he's done another album since his converted his faiths and it's a great album too

Only one album in 35 years? Twould seem that religion is even more destructive of creativity than heroin.

:wtf:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

Lord Grendel wrote:

Nothing he has done since the 70's is nearly as good CP/M. I don't doubt he has done a decent album but his creative Peak years were the 70's beyond all doubt.

As for going strange, Hepcat is right, when he converted to his new faith, he renounced all his worldly possessions and became a beggar in the streets. I don't know what you consider strange, but that qualifies on every count in my opinion. I was glad to hear he had recovered his sanity somewhat and started living a normal life again including recording new music.

I don't know where you got the idea he was a begger in the streets and I remember you saying this before and again I'm saying your wrong, I don't think he ever was a begger and whatever 3rd party gibberish you have against this guy won't convince me otherwise.

You people need to make up your minds - first you say I wish he was still performing and then when I mention this album he made you fling back like a rubberband saying it's nothing like the stuff he did in the 70s. It's upto yourselves to decide what decade you want to live in, but I feel that he only changed his beliefs and music because he wanted to live in peace - what's strange about that? I only feel the people who are strange are the beggers who call him a terrorist, their the beggers IMO.

He only made a new album when he discovered that his religion would allow him to do so and considering I've had it and listened to it a number times I consider it a great album and sure you can say that me and him are in "la la land", but it's not going to solve anything.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I disagree with you vehemently CP/M,,,it was well documented when he left England and ended up in Turkey and Iraq and other places as a beggar...Do you really think people made this up??

He made a decision to renounce his pop/rock star status and live a simple life pursuing his religious ideals, and that took him many years to accomplish. Whatever he found he returned to his normal life after his journey and started making music again.

I say live and let live as a rule, but I am allowed to also consider him a full blown eccentric, and he can call me anything he likes, in return.

Anyway my next post in your thread will be about his music, after all I do like him enough to collect 6 of his albums.

Truckin

Ride Captain Ride
Reaction score

It was a surprise to hear Cat singing on the T-Mobile commercial. Audio only, but it brought back some good memories. The song, If You Want to Sing Out, Sing Out, used in the movie Harold and Maude reminded me of a song my friend was trying to find by Ry Cooder which was in the same movie. I can't think of the name of that song but we must have looked in every record shop in Columbus on High St. as well as others and could never find it.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online