Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica (1969)

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Many consider this album as truly a work of art. I like the polyrhythms and weird vocals octaves too.
With lines like "my smile is stuck"... you knew you were in for a ride.. beyond Brubeck!
It was laced with Zappa influences and those two hung together near Lancaster and the Mojave Desert.
Zoot Horn Rollo Aka Bill Harkleroad funded most of this album on college cheques and cash from Don's mom.
Though released on Zappa's label he knew it was a commercial loser but enjoyed the fact that the band were busted for shoplifting food because house and band funds were that low.
After Safe As Milk it remains my turntable friend.
My copy blasted today, original copy on the Straight label.
IMG_20220111_184610.jpg

China Pig.

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
This album is certainly the definition of "art rock" or "avant-garde rock", eh? Nothing quite like it. I like it, but it's not accessible to many at all! A new meaning to acquired taste...

He did vocals on a lot of Zappa stuff ,they were friends and also friendly rivals. Willie the **** is a legendary track with some fantastic Zappa picking, with ol' Beefheart voicing the **** Willie himself!

Nai Noswad

Reaction score
Bat Chain Puller (shiny beast)... I feel is an extension of TMR.. as is, Ice Cream For Crow. When you break it down, it's poems and raw RnB mixed together.
If you listen to, Tyler The Creator he is doing the 'Mascara Snake' 21st century style.

SanguineRemedy

Speed Demon
Reaction score
Bat Chain Puller (shiny beast)... I feel is an extension of TMR.. as is, Ice Cream For Crow. When you break it down, it's poems and raw RnB mixed together.
If you listen to, Tyler The Creator he is doing the 'Mascara Snake' 21st century style.
^ Funny you mention Tyler. One of the few rap/hip hop artists I enjoy, he is educated on classic music and a lot of rock. An intelligent man. He is definitely one of those modern takes on shock performance.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online