Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - Safe As Milk (1967)

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
I've been meaning to get to reviewing this for the longest time so here goes...

cb_safeasmilk.jpg
Track Listing:

1) Sure 'Nuff 'n Yes I Do
2) Zig Zag Wanderer
3) Call On Me
4) Dropout Boogie
5) I'm Glad
6) Electricity
7) Yellow Brick Road
8) Abba Zaba
9) Plastic Factory
10) Where There's Woman
11) Grown So Ugly
12) Autumn's Child

Just two years prior to his bizarre swan song Trout Mask Replica, Captain Beefheart was an up and coming singer looking at breaking into the music business. With the Magic Band, they released a few singles including a cover of Bo Diddley's Diddy Wah Diddy, which lead them to airtime on the popular music show, American Bandstand.

In 1967, the British invasion had the world in its grasp and record execs in the US were looking into signing an American band that could compete with the giants across the pond such as The Rolling Stones and The Who. They looked no further than to Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band and the group were signed to Buddah records. That same year, they would release their debut album Safe As Milk.

Safe As Milk is a solid but criminally underrated album, especially for a debut. Everything about it; the songwriting, the compositions, the production are all top notch. The album starts off solid from the start with the opening track "Sure Nuff Yes I Do". The beginning of the song with its slide guitar pared with Beefheart's soulful voice is enticing to the ears. The listener can envision themselves driving down the Pacific Coast Highway in a convertible with the top down.

The album gets even more robust from there with the second track "Zig Zag Wanderer". A song reminiscent of the surf rock sound. The fast paced rhythm of the guitar are enough to make you get up on the hood of your car and boogie down.

While the members of the Magic Band are incredible in their own right, the real star of this album is Beefheart. His voice is rich and robust, more than enough to peak the listeners interest. For someone that has had no professional vocal training, the way he carries a tune is remarkable. The song that really showcases his unbelievable voice is on the tearjerker "I'm Glad", a ballad about reminiscing on a lost love. The emotions that pour out of his voice is moving. Leaving the listener who has experienced heart break to feel his pain and sympathize.

Each song off of Safe As Milk offers something different instead of the same beat and tempo that can get tedious very fast. Whether it be the upbeat and poppy love ballad "Call On Me", the hypnotic yet haunting "Electricity" or the sultry R&B flavored "Where's There's Woman"; Safe As Milk displays a variety that fits the right mood and keep the listener interested.

While this album didn't take off like it should have, there's no denying that Safe As Milk could have been the ammunition to combat those giants across the pond and Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band could have given the Brits a run for their money.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^I see someone is feelin' inspired the last couple of days.:D

Came late to the Captain's table, but he has grown on me over the last few years.

Nicely done LadyB...in fact I'll dig Safe as Milk out and give it a spin tomorrow.

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Thanks LG! Yeah for some reason I can't explain, my creative juices have been flowing.

Words cannot express how much I love Safe As Milk. After all this is the album that turned me into the fangirl I am today. :heheh:

Of course this would be the album I would highly recommend anyone new to Beefheart's music. After all, as much as I love Trout Mask, that would scare the listener away in a heartbeat.

I've ordered my LP reprint of Safe As Milk off of Ebay last week. I can't wait until it gets here! :nana:

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online

Members online