Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band (Official Thread)

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score
Wow! I went through all the threads in the sixties section and did not find one on Captain Beefheart! Here it goes!

captain-beefheart_trout-mask-replica.jpg

Wiki Link

Safe as Milk (1967)
Strictly Personal (1968)
Trout Mask Replica (1969)
Lick My Decals Off, Baby (1970)
Mirror Man (1971)
The Spotlight Kid (1972)
Clear Spot (1972)
Unconditionally Guaranteed (1974)
Bluejeans & Moonbeams (1974)
Shiny Beast (Bat Chain Puller) (1978)
Doc at the Radar Station (1980)
Ice Cream for Crow (1982)
Bat Chain Puller (2012)

I just got turned on to the sounds of Captain Beefheart and The Magic Band through my husband and now I'm hooked. I can't wait to get my copy of Safe As Milk within the next couple of days. I figured I should give that whole album a listen through before I decide to delve into the bizarre realm of Trout Mask Replica.

Here's a few Captain songs that I am hooked on:

and I love, love, LOVE this one!!!

Damn, Don Van Vilet was so hypnotic!!!
:bow::bow::bow:

Last edited by a moderator:

Death on Credit

Reaction score
re: The Official Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band Thread

Beefheart was a special one indeed. There was never, nor will there ever be, anyone quite like him. I bought Trout Mask Replica based on a review by Lester Bangs, and was instantly hooked. It is by far one of the strangest things ever put on record, and the intricacy of it all amazes me almost as much as the music. To think that he spent an entire year composing that album, and that every single note was meticulously planned! The whole process reminds me of that involved in the composition of an epic novel. Beefheart may indeed be the James Joyce of rock 'n roll.

This is my favorite Beefheart track:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

Nice to see a thread for the "eccentric" Captain and his band LadyB. I have to be in a particular frame of mind to play their music, same as Zappa. I am by no means an expert, but I do have 4 of his albums now.

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score

Nice to see a thread for the "eccentric" Captain and his band LadyB. I have to be in a particular frame of mind to play their music, same as Zappa. I am by no means an expert, but I do have 4 of his albums now.

I absolutely love every single song I've heard so far from Beefheart. I'm kicking myself for not getting into him sooner! My brother has been a huge fan as early as I can remember and I never picked up on it until recently.

It's freaky because my husband (who's also a major Zappa head) also bares a huge resemblance to a younger Don. Which explains why I've developed an attraction to the younger Captain. :heheh:

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

You have plenty of time to catch up...I only picked up his albums a couple of years ago myself.:peek

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score

...WOW! This song is so... WOW! This has to be one of the most hypnotic songs I've ever heard. The Captain had such a sexy voice, he made Barry White sound like a dwarf.

:pullhair::pullhair::pullhair:

Last edited by a moderator:

electric funeral

Just listening music
Reaction score

Love the comparison with Barry. Safe as Milk is an absolutely fantastic record. After that it got a bit abstract and not all to my liking except maybe The Spotlight Kid.

lady_barrett2112

I ♥ the Ox
Reaction score

Love the comparison with Barry. Safe as Milk is an absolutely fantastic record. After that it got a bit abstract and not all to my liking except maybe The Spotlight Kid.

I ordered Safe as Milk off of Amazon and I should be getting it by tomorrow. I can't wait! :D:)

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

I'm not the biggest Captain Beefheart fan, but I am a fan. I like his early stuff the most and when he joined up with Frank Zappa on some projects and tours.

''Yellow Brick Road'' is one of my favorites...

:nana:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online