Cannabis Corpse

Grunge

Grotesque Perversion
Reaction score
Cannabis Corpse
2rgki9t.jpg

Killer marijuana-based death metal band from Forcefield, Virginia.
Their myspace profile says it all.

"Cannabis Corpse was formed in the summer of 2006 as a way to express our love of smoking weed and listening to Cannibal Corpse. We thought that combining the speed and intensity of death metal with outlandish stories involving marijuana monsters, weed cults ect. would be a fresh take on the genre."

Reviews
x First of all, I must comment on the musicianship displayed between the members. Each is a very skilled musician and they perform together like its second nature to them (and I wouldn't be surprised if it is.) The drumming is quite quick but not excessively so and in terms of content, it's very similar to their main influence and inspiration Cannibal Corpse. The difference here is, however, that this drummer is a better musician than Paul Mazurkiewicz and is able to play blastbeats and double-bass and make it sound effortless as opposed to the tired, slightly sloppy recording one has come to expect from Mazurkiewicz. It's a tight performance.

x The sound is gritty yet still crushing when we hear use of the fretboard’s lower-end employed. The bass is in a similar vein to the guitars; very skillful and powerful, being the driving force behind the lower-end of the audio spectrum. The guitars can be just a little overpowering at times, but overall it fits in very well with the mix and is a powerful and important element of the album making pivotal appearances in songs such as “Gallery Of Stupid High”.

x The vocals are, simply put, excellent. A good range of low to high pitched growls and screams displayed throughout and appear to become more voluminous as the record progresses, becoming more and more brutal. The lyrics are barked in a similar style of phrasing that you might hear from Corpsegrinder, but the growls themselves are much more like Chris Barnes’.

x The songs themselves are written in a classic death metal-style and are done so very well. It’s not unheard of to find a band that excel in skill, but are unable to structure a song in a coherent fashion resulting in occasional confusion and unease in the listener. This is not the case with Cannabis Corpse, each song flows nicely while avoiding predictability and maintaining the listener’s interest. There’s even use of samples, similar to those used by Carcass but these are very few in number here.

x Anyone with even a mild interest in the sub-genre should strongly consider giving them a spin. Any other way you care to slice it, they are very successful in the result of their efforts and not just the parody band people sometimes imagine they are.

2aj818m.jpg

Current Members
Andy "Weedgrinder" Horn x Vocals (Battlemaster, The Skin)
Philip "Landphil" Hall x Guitar, Bass (Municipal Waste, Nehema)
Nick "Nikropolis" Poulos x Guitar (Parasytic, Byam Klavor)
Josh "HallHammer" Hall x Drums

Torrent
http://search.utorrent.com/search.php?q=cannabis%20corpse&e=http%3a%2f%2fwww.bittorrent.com%2fsearch%3fclient%3dutorrent1850%26search%3d&u=1

Myspace
http://www.myspace.com/cannabiscorpseva

Discography

2z3oped.jpg
Blunted at Birth (2006)

33xit03.jpg
Tube of the Resinated (2008)

154zqix.jpg
The Weeding EP (2009)

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
O.K., not sure if the music itself is my thing (I'll have to listen more) but this is an excellent thread and a great read. The whole thing looks awesome right down to the individually colored letters. If nothing else you may get someone to take this band more seriously because like you said people may just see them as a parody band. :grinthumb

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I agree with Soot, very nicely presented Grunge, you always did a first class job on your threads.:tup:

But I can't do the vocals, the music is fine and I like it, but when he growls I am done.

Still I will always read what you and Mud post in here, just may take me a while to catch up.:cheers:

Cutthroat1117

Reaction score
I must agree -- Certain growls I can dig, some I can't. Notsomuch on these guys, and their namesake drives me INSANE: god-knows-how-many albums and every song is virtually indiscernable from the last.

Not to say they're not talented :p

DaKillerWolf

Cosmic Time Warp Warrior
Reaction score
Nice thread I love these guys. I have Tube Of the Resinated and Blunted at Birth. I'm also a big fan of both weed and CC so you know I have to like this stuff haha

Amirlan

~Amirlan~
Reaction score
wow....... good band......

arrrrrrrr

i love these guys.....

Nololob

Long Live Wock 'n' Woll
Reaction score
Cannibal Corpse did the best Zero The Hero cover I've heard so far.
@down
Oh right! Sorry about that. I must admit I didn't read it carefully, I looked at it and actually thought of Cannibal Corpse. My bad.

Last edited:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
^^This thread is for "Cannabis Corpse" Nololob, not Cannibal Corpse.;)

But I thought the same thing as you when I read the band name the first time.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online