Can You Recommend Some Modern Bands With A 70's Classic Rock Retro Sound?

Hey Man

Banned
Reaction score
I am familiar with the more popular bands that have the Zeppelin, Free/Bad Co., Humble Pie, James Gang, Purple, Mountain, Sabbath, etc. thing going on, but I was wondering if anyone could recommend any other modern bands that might be more obscure or indie, but that capture the 70's classic rock sound.

I know there are a slew of stoner rock or lo-fi bands that do have that sound, but more often than not - the vocals are terrible. I am hoping for awesome pipes - not unlike Plant, Glenn Hughes, Paul Rodgers, Steve Marriott to go with the riffs and groove. I was recently introduced to a band called Stone Axe that does fit the bill, so possibly there are more obscure bands like that.

I am familiar with these bands:

The White Stripes
Wolfmother
The Black Keys
The Parlour Mob
Jet
Airbourne
Silvertide
Black Stone Cherry
The Answer
Gov't Mule
The Black Crowes
Them Crooked Vultures

Thank you very much.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I am not sure I can add any to your list Hey Man....Black Stone Cherry and Wolfmother would be my two faves from the bands you posted.

Flower

retired
Reaction score
The Chesterfield Kings have a great 60's garage rock sound ... I found them and other cool bands listening to Little Steven's Underground Garage.

chesterfieldkings.jpg

Foxhound

retired
Reaction score
I second the Chesterfield Kings.

Another band emulating the garage band/punk rock sound is the Strokes:

strokes1.jpg

the_strokes_-_is_this_it1.jpg

:grinthumb

Džedaj

Groovy as hell.
Reaction score
I think Graveyard and Siena Root is what you're looking for.

(damn I made double post because my internet is retarded. how do I delete one when I see I screwed it up?

Last edited:

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score
I would add Beck to the list as well. I don't keep up with his music but some of his stuff has a vintage pop, rock, garage flavor.

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score
The Darkness was the first to come into my mind when I saw the title of this thread.

Tattoo'd Lady

Scentless Apprentice
Reaction score
foxhound read my mind, with influences like the Velvet Underground and Television, the Strokes really have a great sound, their debut album Is This It is one of my favorites of all time :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Members online