Calling any American SRV Fans!

steve W

Reaction score
Hi Guys
This is a long shot...Really hope some American friend can help me out please?
My name is Steve, 52 from London England, now live out in the sticks in Cambridgeshire.
I'm an intermediate Classical Guitar player but like the title says am a MASSIVE SRV fan!
I want to visit Texas next year, this for me will be a real bucket list 'one-off' trip of a lifetime thing.
I'd like to go to Austin to see Stevies statue, then visit Antoine's famous club, any other Blues clubs associated with him, then see the SRV and Double trouble Museum there.
Then after this, I'd want to move on to Dallas, bus, or train? to see Stevie's final resting place at Laurel land to pay my respects to this great Man, it would be an honor for me, something I would remember my whole life. My HUGE regret is I never discovered Stevie until about 5 years ago! I'd obviously heard his name but unfortunately was ignorant at the time, I believe he passed when I was around 23 years old, 1990, at that time we in the UK heard very little Blues on the radio or TV. So it's my loss for sure.
I went to Pensacola and Jacksonville visiting friends back in 2003 so have a little experience of traveling in the USA. But as the US is HUGE, Texas i'm guessing would be a different ball game so to speak.
I'm looking at a trip lasting Two weeks. Could any kind American please advise on the way to plan out such a trip? or advise me on any routes I should take, or places to go/ stay?
ANY information would be VERY much appreciated. I will be traveling alone.
Many Thanks in advance.

Steve.

Arkie

Reaction score
Hey Steve just a heads up on Austin , theres not much left of SRV here in Austin. Just old memories and a statue. All the old haunts that he used to play in are gone.
Antones is a shell of its former self as its moved locations so many times over the years i cant even count. You can catch Tommy Shannons band playing there every now and then.
As for a SRV Museum theres not one , The Blanton Museum did have a extensive SRV Exhibit back 2016-17 , but other than that. This towns gone to hell in a handbag.

The Rome Inn ( its a bakery now) was a blues club within walking distance to the original Antoine's. Those were the days. Anyways didnt mean to burst your bubble.

steve W

Reaction score
Hi Arkie,
Thanks for the reply my friend, all I can say is WOW!
Many Thanks for the heads up and information, and of course the awesome link you posted. Pretty heartbreaking to hear all this, I even told my Mrs I'm going too!..lol Such a shame if ONLY I had grown up in the States!
Hell, I''ll still have my Two weeks in the States, always wanted to see Texas anyways.
Thank again Arkie n' stay safe Buddy.

Reactions: E-Z

E-Z

Reaction score
If you are hitch hiking along the Texas highways Steve best take a concealed loaded .38 hand gun about your person and a couple of boxes of ammunition with ya just to be on the safe side cos your a long ways from home baby.

I remember hearing when SRV was killed back in 1990 along with several others on that doomed 'chopper' that was bit of a shocker!!. :eek:

Last edited:

steve W

Reaction score
No hitch hiking for me, too long in the tooth for that mode of transport these days :), would be a planned out trip.

Reactions: E-Z

Rock2Blues

Reaction score
Hey Steve,
You may have missed out on seeing the amazing SRV but it's not too late to look into the music of the Kenny Wayne Shepherd band. The drummmer is Chris (Whipper) Layton, who used to drum for Stevie. Kenney's dad took him to meet Stevie when he was ( I think 11 ) if I remember correctly and really changed his life. His lead singer, who I think has an awesome voice for the blues is Noah Hunt. Who was born in Cincinnati, Ohio where I live. I only got to see Stevie one time but it was awesome. It was in New Orleans back in 1988 when I was there for a National Trade Show.Your trip sounds great. Hope you have a good time.

steve W

Reaction score
Hey there my friend,
Thanks for the reply and information, that's awesome. Kenny Wayne Shepherd I have heard of him, I will look into the band.
Ive only been to America once, Pensacola, I love the US, people I meet were so friendly, mind you, funny thing was, they all said, ''What part of Australia do you come from? lol...made me laugh.
Really looking forward to this trip. Your a very lucky Guy actually having seen SRV and Double Trouble, just incredible.
Thanks Buddy and take care.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Hey Steve,
You may have missed out on seeing the amazing SRV but it's not too late to look into the music of the Kenny Wayne Shepherd band. The drummmer is Chris (Whipper) Layton, who used to drum for Stevie. Kenney's dad took him to meet Stevie when he was ( I think 11 ) if I remember correctly and really changed his life. His lead singer, who I think has an awesome voice for the blues is Noah Hunt. Who was born in Cincinnati, Ohio where I live. I only got to see Stevie one time but it was awesome. It was in New Orleans back in 1988 when I was there for a National Trade Show.Your trip sounds great. Hope you have a good time.

Kenny Wayne Shepherd is phenominal. I listen to at least a couple of his albums every week. Caught wind of him back in '95 or so when I first heard Deja Voodoo and have been a fan ever since. I've really gotten back into his music in the past couple of years.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online