Bullet Boys

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
^^^ Yes agreed. IMO they were a band about growth and that's important as well as keeping it good. Hard thing to do.

Mr. T

Reaction score
Kind of suprised no one has mentioned these guys newest album that came out last year. Over time, BulletBoys have grown with the music scene, remaining relevant in contemporary styles, while still utilizing the hypnotic flair which achieved their popularity originally. With veteran, stylish front man Marq Torien leading the way, BulletBoys has cultivated a fresh, inspired sound in "10 Cent Billionaire". I really like this album a lot!!

Last edited by a moderator:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
Kind of suprised no one has mentioned these guys newest album that came out last year. Over time, BulletBoys have grown with the music scene, remaining relevant in contemporary styles, while still utilizing the hypnotic flair which achieved their popularity originally. With veteran, stylish front man Marq Torien leading the way, BulletBoys has cultivated a fresh, inspired sound in "10 Cent Billionaire". I really like this album a lot!!

The Bulletboys also did a good record in 2003 called Sophie but the production job on the record (despite being done by Andy Johns) was horrendous. Too bad, since the songs were quite good and contemporary while still being vintage Bulletboys in style.

In defense of Andy Johns, though, as the story goes the Bulletboys either simply stopped paying him or they ran out of money (both of which mean pretty much the same thing) so they ended up releasing the record as is and presumably the production was still half done, so to speak.

Granted, since the Bulletboys released that record independently, it isn't like they had any sort of a budget or a record label backing them (even though Marq Torien has reportedly saved most of the "big" money he made in the 80's).

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr. T

Reaction score
The Bulletboys also did a good record in 2003 called Sophie but the production job on the record (despite being done by Andy Johns) was horrendous. Too bad, since the songs were quite good and contemporary while still being vintage Bulletboys in style.

In defense of Andy Johns, though, as the story goes the Bulletboys either simply stopped paying him or they ran out of money (both of which mean pretty much the same thing) so they ended up releasing the record as is and presumably the production was still half done, so to speak.

Granted, since the Bulletboys released that record independently, it isn't like they had any sort of a budget or a record label backing them (even though Marq Torien has reportedly saved most of the "big" money he made in the 80's).

I've heard Sophie, but as you stated the production was so bad I just couldn't get with the program on that one. To be honest I didn't care for Acid Monkey either but the new one is pretty good spin IMO.

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I've heard Sophie, but as you stated the production was so bad I just couldn't get with the program on that one. To be honest I didn't care for Acid Monkey either but the new one is pretty good spin IMO.

With more money behind it (if Warner Bros/Ted Templeman had been funding and producing the record), Acid Monkey would have turned out pretty good. I liked many of the songs on there.

I've heard like one song off of the new Bulletboys one but since I don't do radio anymore and have been buying very few cd's over the past couple of years, I've never gotten ahold of it to hear the rest.

While a lot of people dismiss the concept of a recording budget, saying it doesn't matter or saying that they think low-budget records are more authentic, it is amazing how a few dollars can make the difference between a record sounding good and sounding like shit, as if it were recorded in a bathroom stall into a handheld tape recorder.

I always thought Torien was one of the finest singers and lyricists from the 80's rock era. Some of the lyrics he came up with on Za Za for example were pretty creative.

Mr. T

Reaction score
While a lot of people dismiss the concept of a recording budget, saying it doesn't matter or saying that they think low-budget records are more authentic, it is amazing how a few dollars can make the difference between a record sounding good and sounding like shit, as if it were recorded in a bathroom stall into a handheld tape recorder.

I always thought Torien was one of the finest singers and lyricists from the 80's rock era. Some of the lyrics he came up with on Za Za for example were pretty creative.

I agree with you completely on both of these points. The production value can't help but be affected by the budget although with today's technology it is much easier to achieve good results on a small budget than it was when Sophie and Acid Monkey were recorded. No idea if that is why the new album sounds so much better or not but it's def a huge step above those two.

And Torien still sounds good. The rest of the band is all new but it's kind of like Coverdale and Whitesnake as far as revolving players around the driving force of a band and Marq was always the driving force. Think you would like this album since you appreciate their work as a whole.

Last edited:

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
I agree with you completely on both of these points. The production value can't help but be affected by the budget although with today's technology it is much easier to achieve good results on a small budget than it was when Sophie and Acid Monkey were recorded. No idea if that is why the new album sounds so much better or not but it's def a huge step above those two.

And Torien still sounds good. The rest of the band is all new but it's kind of like Coverdale and Whitesnake as far as revolving players around the driving force of a band and Marq was always the driving force. Think you would like this album since you appreciate their work as a whole.

Most "stuffy" rock journalists and writers don't appreciate the Bulletboys but one surprising name who does is Martin Popoff who believes their work (and Marq Torien) to be very brilliant.

On Acid Monkey, in particular, I really liked Toy, Surf Dog, Terror Ride, Weasel and American Pie. The label who released it (Perris) used to specialize in low-budget recordings with bargain basement production to match it.

Ah well.

But seeing that the band is still churning out good work, if I get the chance I'll follow your recommendation on the new album :grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HildredLad

Members online