Bucky's Attic

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
205s32x.jpg

The Godz 1985: Steve Schuffert (left), Eric Moore (center),
Freddie Salem (top, right), Jimmy Clark (bottom).

Eric Moore appeared in what was originally called Freddie Salem and the Wildcats (named after a project and album Freddie had worked on earlier.) Salem played guitar in The Outlaws and Eric and Freddie had met back in '79 when The Godz were opening for them. This new group consisted of Eric/Freddie/Steve Schuffert on guitar and Sandy Gennaro (from Cindy Lauper's band) on drums. In time, Jimmy Clark replaced Sandy Gennaro on drums and the band was aptly dubbed The Godz. Eric and Freddie co-wrote the Godz' 1985 album '"I'll Get You Rockin'"

302c7lg.jpg

The Godz 1987: Freddie Salem, Eric Moore, Mark Chatfield, and Kevin Valentine

The Godz' 1987 album "Mongolians", a domestic release on the independent Grudge label.

Those are the 2 albums that Freddie was with The Godz :)

rtbuck

Reaction score
I'm Back again & just returned from the attic with 4 more review!!!! (Vinyl Is great!)

Bachman-Turner_Overdrive_-_Street_Action.jpg

B.T.O. – ‘Street Action’
Released: 1978
Label: Mercury
Review by Bucky

How could there be a B.T.O. without Randy Bachman? Easy, his younger brother Rob was still in the band! This is the first of 2 B.T.O. albums without Randy Bachman. Bassist C.F. Turner switched over to guitar & the band hired ex April Wine bassist Jim Clench.

First off… the album cover caught my eye in the record store one day. A pretty blonde hair girl wearing a nice dress & high heels is flagging down a car on a city street corner in the evening. The back cover features the girl sitting in the passenger seat of a car applying lipstick & the whole concept had my 16 year old mind racing (hmmm was she a hooker who just gave a gentleman the time of his life?). Next was the inner sleeve which was nothing major but back when I was a kid I always loved this kind of inner sleeve which had photos of different album covers put out by the record label. I used to look at the sleeve & figure out what records I would want to buy & this sleeve featured albums by Rush, the Runaways, Thin Lizzy, Graham Parker, City Boy, & Rod Stewart among others.

Anyway, onto the record which starts out with Rob Bachman kicking out an upbeat drum intro to the album’s first cut “I’m in Love”. The tune has a pop southern rock style to it & features some good old southern fried guitars at the end. This is really a decent album overall & although it has a couple mediocre songs on it there are definitely more than enough good tracks that will make the album worth the price. The best song on the album for my tastes is the last song “The World is Waiting for a Love Song” which has a heavy feel to it mixed with blues overtones & blues guitar riffs. “Down the Road” features some great sounding power chords mixed with a rocking sound in the same vein as Bad Co. & Foghat. The title track is a heavy rocker featuring a great vocal style (not meaning that Turner’s voice is beautiful but I love the way he uses his vocals) & “For Love” sounds like classic B.T.O. “A Long Time for a Little While” is just an overall cool sounding tune with a cool beat & speaking of “cool”… “Madison Avenue” is just that, as the song begins with a soft guitar intro that lasts for a couple of minutes & is followed by a bit of power before lulling into an unbelievable musical interlude featuring some great percussion, saxophone, & jazzy guitars.

Bucky
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
200px-OMDItsAlive.jpg

The Ozark Mountain Daredevils – ‘It’s Alive’
Released: 1978
Label: A & M
Review by Bucky

In 1980 I seen a commercial on TV for a record put out by K-Tel records titled ‘Southern Fried Rock’ featuring Blackfoot, Molly Hatchet, Charlie Daniels Band, & the Allman Brothers. The cover featured a huge sunny side up fried egg & it looked great so I asked my Dad to drive me to the local ‘Two Guys’ Department store so I could buy the album (I also bought Nazareth’s ‘Malice in Wonderland’ on that trip). I got home & slapped the ‘Southern Fried Rock’ album on the turntable & was blown away by the first track which I had never heard before “If You Wanna Go to Heaven” by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils. I would play that song over & over & never get tired of it. One day soon after I was in a used record store & came across ‘It’s Alive’ by the Ozark Mountain Daredevils so I picked up the double album. The first thing I noticed was the song “Jackie Blue”& I thought “Could this be that same AM radio pop tune???”. I then noticed “If You Wanna Go to Heaven” & the real selling point for me… “It’s All Over Now”. I loved the Rolling Stones version of “It’s All Over Now” & had recently discovered the phenomenal live version of it by Johnny Winter so I bought the Double Live record. Putting on this record today I immediately thought of “Hot Summer weather & ice cold Beer…” (This phrase was used on the intro to “Ooh Boys (It’s Hot)”. This is a fun country/bluegrass southern fried album & is worth the price for side 4 which features the A.M. Radio hit of the 70’s Jackie Blue, the acid rock “Noah” (Great tune!), “If You Wanna Get to Heaven” & “It’s All Over Now”. The rest of the album is entertaining although it may be a bit too much country & not enough rock & roll for my tastes but with songs like “Black Sky”, “Chicken Train”, “Ooh Boys (It’s Hot)” & “Commercial Success” it does make it an overall decent album.

Bucky
Schon_and_hammer_here_to_stay.jpg

Schon & Hammer – ‘Here to Stay’Released: 1982
Label: Columbia
Review by Bucky

This is the second album by the duo of Journey/Santana/Bad English/Hardline guitarist Neil Schon & Jazz Fusion keyboardist Jan Hammer. I first found out about this duo while watching MTV in the early 80’s & they played the video for “No More Lies”. I thought the song was great & I went out & bought the record which I thought had a cool album cover featuring the Arm & Hammer Baking Soda like drawing & instead of Arm & Hammer it read Schon & Hammer.

This is a good album with a different type sound but it still rocks especially on its single from the album “No More Lies” which has a chorus that will stick in your head & it is full of plenty of hooks in the music to reel you in. My favorite tune on the album is the hardest rock tune on the record & it’s titled “Self Defense”. The song was written by Schon, Jonathan Cain, & Steve Perry & it even features Perry on backing vocals. Speaking of vocals, Schon sounds great on “No More Lies” but on the rest of the album the vocals are handled by Glen Burtnik who eventually found his way into Styx. I actually prefer side one to side two but there are a couple good tracks on side two such as “Time Again” & “Peace of Mind”. Every song is good on side one. “Turnaround” is another rocker & “(You Think You’re) So Hot” is cool sounding & Funkified. “Don’t Stay Away” is a decent mellow song which I think had hit potential for the early 80’s.
I think this album is worth checking out because as I said it’s a bit different but it rocks.

Bucky
Stakk_Attakk_2.jpg

Wrathchild – ‘Stakk Attakk’

Released: 1984
Label: Heavy Metal Records
Review by Bucky

This is a great album in my book. It’s a bit of everything I Liked in the 80’s…Glam, Rock & Roll, Heavy Metal, & even a hint of Punk. Many of the songs here are written as anthems & they will have you throwing you’re fist in the air singing along with the chorus of almost every song. The problem with them was maybe they were a bit too much into the High hair, the make-up, & the Costumes as they were a wild combination between Kiss, Twisted Sister, Gary Glitter, & the NY Dolls so nobody could take them serious. This is a fun record & is worth it just for the anthem “Kick Down the Walls” which will kick your ass. Songs such as the title track, “Too Wild to Tame”, & “Trash Queen” really revisit the whole glam scene. They do a great cover of Gary Glitter’s “Alright With The Boys” which Joan Jett also covered on her first record. “Wreckless”, “Law Abuzer”, “Shokker” …with titles like that you know what you’re in for.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online