Review Buckethead - Electric Tears (2002)

album review

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Artist: Buckethead
Album: Electric Tears (2002)
Genre: Ambient Rock

311FPAQ5MBL._SS500_.jpg

I have chosen this album for review because of the ambience, flow of the music, and uniqueness Buckethead has shown in this album. The entire album is instrumental, comprised of electric and acoustic guitar, put together in such a way as to be extremely mellow and minimalistic. This album differs from Colma in that it is completely electric and acoustic guitar minus the drums.

Track List and Review:

All in the Waiting—This song is a great opening to the album, showcases that Buckethead is a master of the acoustic guitar.

Sketches of Spain (For Miles)—The only song on the album which Buckethead didn’t write. The electronic affects in this song are pretty wild. The song does make you feel like you’re in Spain.

Padmasana—This song is the highlight of the entire album. At 11:39 it is a long song, but when it ends, oddly you wish there was more to listen to. This song carries an extended electric guitar solo juxtaposed over an acoustic guitar, very peaceful music.

Mustang—This song is the strangest , most ambient on the album. It has an electronic feel , with long pauses, but still has some great guitar work.

The Way to Heaven—This song is one of the fastest tempo songs on the album, a lot of neat riffs and picking.

Baptism of Solitude— Very strange melodies in this song. Gets a bit long winded and repetitive in the end, though. Solitude and Isolation is the mood the song creates.

Kansas Storm—This song has some of the most unique guitar work on the album, very dark sounds and the affects do seem like lightning or thunder. Outstanding blues riff which sets this song apart on the album.

Datura—This song title is another name for “loco weed”, and that is exactly the feel the song gives, it is like you are on a hallucinogenic trip. Very interesting song.

Mantaray-—This is another faster tempo song. It has some really neat background sounds which gives you the impression the guitar music is floating on something.

Witches on the Heath—This song is short and actually makes a nice bridge to the next song.

Angel Monster—Very slow and ambient song, almost like strange angels dancing. Excellent electric guitar over acoustic guitar sound.

Electric Tears—Title track of the album and also the weakest link in the album, IMO. It does give the impression of slow falling tears. It is a bit repetitive, but still a nice song.

Spell of the Gypsies—An impressive ending to the album. If the first part of the album didn’t put it’s spell on you this song will, very pretty song.

I would give this album a 4.5/5 for an ambient, easy listening acoustic and electric guitar instrumental album.

Metal Head Mike

Reaction score
Nice Review. Fan of Buckethead. This is a great release. Your spot on with the ambient passages on these recordings. Took me a couple spins to really get into this

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
This isn't the type of music one would play at a party. This is definitely music that has a calming effect.

"Padmasana" is how I was introduced to Buckethead......loved it at first listen. So I decided to get the whole album. Great music to put me in a relaxed state of mind

Mr. Shadow

"Classic" Member
Reaction score
Buckethead - New, Untitled Song - Live at the GAMH

Buckethead - Waiting Hare - Henry Fonda Theatre 4/21/06

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11

Staff online