Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Artist: Buckethead
Album: Colma (released 1998)
Genre: Ambient Rock, Experimental Rock

The reason I have chosen this album is two fold; it strays from Buckethead’s usual works, and it was a tribute to his mother, who was dying of cancer, so he wanted to create music she would enjoy listening to in her last days. The title of the Album, Colma, is a town in California where the dead population out number the living by one thousand to one. If you are expecting to hear a lot of shredding guitar work, you wont find it on this album. This album has a mellow flow and very tastefully done mix of electric and acoustic guitar, although there is a shredding solo in the second half of “Machete” and a fast tempo ditty in “Big Sur Moon”. The final song and title track to the album, Colma, is the darkest and most ambient song on the album, a definite signal of the end. This album has an almost techno feel to it with Latin undertones. Perfect for a laid back evening.

Band members:

Buckethead — guitars and bass.
Brain — drums and loops.
DJ Disk — scratches on "Machete," "Hills of Eternity," and "Lone Sal Bug."
Bill Laswell — bass on "Machete".
Terry Untalan — cello and viola on "Wondering" and "Lone Sal Bug."

Colma.jpg

Track List:

Whitewash
For Mom
Ghost
Hills of Eternity
Big Sur Moon
Machete
Wishing Well
Lone Sal Bug
Sanctum
Wondering
Watching the Boats with my Dad
Ghost part 2
Colma

This entire album is a beautiful collection of easy listening guitar work. The most moving song would have to be “For Mom”, which is a very melodic song. I would definitely recommend this album for those who are in a romantic mood or just need to sit back and relax.

Special note: the songs “Wishing Well” and “Colma” are identical to songs recorded by Buckethead and Brain as the band Pieces, minus the vocals. Colma is the song “General Butterfly” and Wishing Well is the song ”Danyel”. The song “Hills of Eternity” is named after a cemetery where Wyatt Earp is buried.

My rating for listening pleasure: 5/5

Bocephus

Reaction score
Artist: Buckethead
Album: Colma (released 1998)
Genre: Ambient Rock, Experimental Rock

The reason I have chosen this album is two fold; it strays from Buckethead’s usual works, and it was a tribute to his mother, who was dying of cancer, so he wanted to create music she would enjoy listening to in her last days. The title of the Album, Colma, is a town in California where the dead population out number the living by one thousand to one. If you are expecting to hear a lot of shredding guitar work, you wont find it on this album. This album has a mellow flow and very tastefully done mix of electric and acoustic guitar, although there is a shredding solo in the second half of “Machete” and a fast tempo ditty in “Big Sur Moon”. The final song and title track to the album, Colma, is the darkest and most ambient song on the album, a definite signal of the end. This album has an almost techno feel to it with Latin undertones. Perfect for a laid back evening.

Band members:

Buckethead — guitars and bass.
Brain — drums and loops.
DJ Disk — scratches on "Machete," "Hills of Eternity," and "Lone Sal Bug."
Bill Laswell — bass on "Machete".
Terry Untalan — cello and viola on "Wondering" and "Lone Sal Bug."

Colma.jpg

Track List:

Whitewash
For Mom
Ghost
Hills of Eternity
Big Sur Moon
Machete
Wishing Well
Lone Sal Bug
Sanctum
Wondering
Watching the Boats with my Dad
Ghost part 2
Colma

This entire album is a beautiful collection of easy listening guitar work. The most moving song would have to be “For Mom”, which is a very melodic song. I would definitely recommend this album for those who are in a romantic mood or just need to sit back and relax.

Special note: the songs “Wishing Well” and “Colma” are identical to songs recorded by Buckethead and Brain as the band Pieces, minus the vocals. Colma is the song “General Butterfly” and Wishing Well is the song ”Danyel”. The song “Hills of Eternity” is named after a cemetery where Wyatt Earp is buried.

My rating for listening pleasure: 5/5

Nice review. This was the second Buckethead album i got and it was a bit of a shock after hearing Monters and Robots which i loved, it's not what i pictured from Buckethead, it took me some time to get into it.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
March 2018 is the 20th birthday of Colma

For Mom

Starchild

Little Dreamer
Reaction score
I enjoy Buckethead's music, but I've only listened to 3 of his albums. I just can't keep up with his output.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online