1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bruce Springsteen (Official Thread)

Discussion in '70's Music' started by Oblivion, Sep 22, 2009.

1. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Senior Member

So let's see...I was in Asbury Park yesterday afternoon and Bruce was in Asbury Park last night. Figures. :wa

But Bruce actually was there for a sad reason. He made a surprise appearance at a benefit show at The Press Room for a personal trainer of his, Tony Strollo who died unexpectedly at the age of 40. :( I have not heard how he passed away, but Tony left a wife and 2 young daughters. This benefit show was for them. Bruce performed a few songs including Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out and Rosalita. Here's an article on it.

LINK: Springsteen Plays The Press Room For Tony Strollo Benefit | Speak Into My Good Eye

[​IMG]

2. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Senior Member

3. Panthera Tigris

Panthera Tigris Banned

The Mavericks covered Brilliant Disguise. Is that the country singer you're thinking of?

I love all of Bruce's work, not just the early stuff.

4. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Senior Member

No, it wasn't the Mavericks. Grrrr...this is gonna drive me nuts. :bonk: I haven't found it with searches either but I really didn't try too hard. I need to get in touch with my friend.

Have you heard any of the new album yet PT?

5. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Senior Member

Jungleland...what can I say about Jungleland that we don't already know or feel? This is my absolute favorite song of all time from my absolute favorite album of all time, Born To Run. Right from the opening violin and piano it captures me. The song plays out like a big dramatic story that we want to be a part of. The sax solo is Clarence's best and that can never be denied. That part of the song was also playing during my very first kiss with my first love so it holds very special meaning to me. This is another song that is unbelievable live. While I was deciding which song to post today, I came across these facts about Jungleland.

Jungleland Facts:

This is a poetic tale of life on the streets of New Jersey.

Springsteen and the E Street Band performed this live for over a year before they recorded it. It developed into a longer song with a grand sax solo when it was finally released.

This features the piano of Roy Bittan. He joined The E Street Band for Born To Run after playing in orchestra pits on Broadway.

This was a highlight of Springsteen’s 1999 reunion tour with The E Street Band.

Suki Lahav played the violin. She was the first female to play in Springsteen’s band, and was with him from September 1974 – March 1975.

This is the last song on Born To Run, the breakthrough album for Springsteen. He tested the patience of Columbia Records by taking over a year to record it, refusing to release it until it was just right.

Clarence Clemons played a long sax solo on this. With his bright suits and large stature, he is the most notable and popular member of The E Street Band.

This is one of Clemons’ favorites. He was disappointed when it was not included on the 1995 Greatest Hits album.

As seen in the documentary Wings For Wheels on the 30th anniversary package of the album, one take of the song had a dramatic flamenco-style intro. (thanks, Marshall – Sacramento, CA)

Melissa Etheridge said in Rolling Stone magazines 100 Greatest Singers Of All Time issue: “When Bruce Springsteen does those wordless wails, like at the end of ‘Jungleland,’ that’s the definition of rock & roll to me. He uses his whole body when he sings, and he puts out this enormous amount of force and emotion and passion.”

So here is my favorite song ever...Jungleland.

Jungleland

Jungleland - Bruce Springsteen

The rangers had a homecoming in Harlem late last night
    And the Magic Rat drove his sleek machine over the Jersey state line
    Barefoot girl sitting on the hood of a Dodge
    Drinking warm beer in the soft summer rain
    The Rat pulls into town rolls up his pants
    Together they take a stab at romance and disappear down Flamingo Lane

Well the Maximum Lawman run down Flamingo chasing the Rat and the barefoot girl
    And the kids round here look just like shadows always quiet, holding hands
    From the churches to the jails tonight all is silence in the world
    As we take our stand down in Jungleland

The midnight gang's assembled and picked a rendezvous for the night
    They'll meet 'neath that giant Exxon sign that brings this fair city light
    Man there's an opera out on the Turnpike
    There's a ballet being fought out in the alley
    Until the local cops, Cherry Tops, rips this holy night
    The street's alive as secret debts are paid
    Contacts made, they vanished unseen
    Kids flash guitars just like switch-blades hustling for the record machine
    The hungry and the hunted explode into rock'n'roll bands
    That face off against each other out in the street down in Jungleland

In the parking lot the visionaries dress in the latest rage
    Inside the backstreet girls are dancing to the records that the D.J. plays
    Lonely-hearted lovers struggle in dark corners
    Desperate as the night moves on, just a look and a whisper, and they're gone

Beneath the city two hearts beat
    Soul engines running through a night so tender in a bedroom locked
    In whispers of soft refusal and then surrender in the tunnels uptown
    The Rat's own dream guns him down as shots echo down them hallways in the night
    No one watches when the ambulance pulls away
    Or as the girl shuts out the bedroom light

Outside the street's on fire in a real death waltz
    Between flesh and what's fantasy and the poets down here
    Don't write nothing at all, they just stand back and let it all be
    And in the quick of the night they reach for their moment
    And try to make an honest stand but they wind up wounded, not even dead
    Tonight in Jungleland

6. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Senior Member

Funny Bruce Springsteen moments...these are great! :heheh:

7. METALPRIEST

METALPRIEST Senior Member

:heheh:

Yeah those were pretty funny!!

8. TheSound

TheSound An Englishman in New York

Jackie, been busy elsewhere, but I'll post another of my favourite Springsteen tracks in the next 24 hours or so - though I'm not sure I can follow 'Jungleland' that you posted, it's going to be a bit like me trying to impress my kids with a few neat moves around the basketball hoop in our back yard after I've just been watching the Harlem Globetrotters on TV! :uh:

I hope you don't mind if I post my live favourite clip of 'Jungleland' from that historic 'Live in NYC' show from Madison Square Garden in 2001 - but it is by far and away the best live DVD ever filmed (imo). 'Jungleland' is probably my #1 Springsteen song, but then many many fans I know all feel the same, I mean a rock opera of gang warfare no less, and also populated with some of Springsteen's most colorful and dynamic personalities. I know that many believe the song is referencing the racial riots that took place in Asbury in the 60s, maybe so, but I prefer to believe it's simply Springsteen at his lyrical peak.. and I know that every time he starts to sing "The Rangers had a homecoming in Harlem late last night" a shiver goes up my spine....then when a minute later 20,000 people all join in and sing "DOWN......IN...... JUNGLELAND!!!" .... I pretty much almost lose it!!

So thanks for sharing the miraculous 'Jungleland'...anyone hanging around this thread who wants to see the very definition of rock n roll at its best, here's 11 minutes of evidence...

9. JerseyGirl

JerseyGirl Senior Member

Very early Bruce. :grinthumb

It's Hard To Be A Saint In The City - 1975

10. TheSound

TheSound An Englishman in New York

My next track I want to showcase...

'Long Time Comin' - from the album 'Devils and Dust'

'Devils and Dust' is just a great album, and there are a lot of other tracks on there that I will want to showcase in this thread. It's some way down my list of the best Springsteen albums, but that doesn't mean to say it isn't still superior in every way to 90% of the stuff everybody else releases, these things are all relative, and IMO Bruce on his worst day is still better than most other artists on their best day. 'Nebraska' and 'Ghost of Tom Joad' were great records too, however, let's face it, they were somewhat depressing and difficult to listen to for extended periods of time, 'Devils and Dust' isn't quite so dark (though it definitely has its bleak moments) and it has a backbone rhythm to it. The track I love the most on D&D is 'Long Time Comin' which stands out to me lyrically as one of the best songs ever about parental obligations to their children. If there is one thing we can hope for in a world plagued with dysfunctional families, is that fathers have the wisdom to forgive the shortcomings to their children. Maybe the song is so strong because it's written about a part of life, fatherhood, that Bruce is experiencing. 'Long Time Coming' offers hope, and is just plain fun too, and I defy you not to at least want to move to this one, and play it a couple of times and you may not be able to get the chorus out of your head the rest of the day, it swings along, I can imagine a gospel choir rocking out to the chorus.

'Out where the creek turns shallow and sandy
    And the moon comes skimmin' away the stars
    The wind in the mesquite comes rushin' over the hilltops
    Straight into my arms
    Straight into my arms

I'm riding hard carryin' a catch of roses
    And a fresh map that I made
    Tonight I'm gonna get birth naked and bury my old soul
    And dance on its grave
    And dance on its grave

It's been a long time comin', my dear
    It's been a long time comin' but now it's here