Bruce Springsteen (Official Thread)

TheSound

An Englishman in New York
Reaction score
Haven't seen the Grammys yet, watching it tonight, couldn't stay awake long enough to watch it live as it was about 3am UK time, but nicely put guys :grinthumb

Hey Jackie - anybody! - I'm pretty pumped today as I just got my Pearl Jam tickets for June in Manchester at the Arena...incredibly they are on the day before the Springsteen show at the City of Manchester Stadium, so God help me!!! Then both Pearl Jam, and Bruce and the gang, all go on to headline at the Isle of Wight Festival a couple of days later, so I'm wondering if there maybe a bit of Bruce on stage at the Pearl Jam show in Manchester...or a bit of Eddie Vedder the next night at the Springsteen show.

Bruce and Eddie Vedder are huge mates, so you just never know. I think one of the most touching and beautiful renditions of a Springsteen song that I know was when Eddie Vedder came on and sang 'City in Ruins' at the ceremony in DC when Bruce received his Kennedy Centre Honour from Barack Obama back in 2009, EV is the only singer whose voice I think maybe even more soulful and amazing than Bruce, this is amazing, enjoy....

In fact that was such a great night, don't know if you saw it, but the great Jon Stewart (who just maybe the funniest guy alive) was tremendous talking about Bruce, and introducing such a perfect video tribute film to him, here...

...and at the award ceremony, Obama went a long way to winning my vote again!....

Last edited:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
That Jon Stewart clip is great! I always enjoy watching it. Being from Jersey, I got the jokes, like the Turnpike exits, etc. When he mentions Central Jersey and Route 1, that's right where I am. And Obama...I'm the President, but he's the Boss." Love it! :grinthumb

I love Eddie Vedder. Never saw him live though. And I wouldn't doubt that either he or Bruce shows up at one or the other's show. I love this clip of Eddie impersonating Bruce. :heheh:

It amazes me when I think about how Bruce is still so relevant in the music industry after 40 years. When so many of his peers couldn't last for whatever reason, he kept going. No one can take that away from him. :)

TheSound

Reaction score
When he mentions Central Jersey and Route 1, that's right where I am

Cool, then I bet I have even been within a few miles of your neighbourhood! We have friends at Princeton, and when we've driven from DC up to visit family in NYC we sometimes call in at Princeton, and so I've been on 95 (the NJ turnpike) quite a lot, in fact we take 95 from Baltimore to Philly and then onto the Delaware Expressway up to Trenton, and then on to Princeton (er, I think, it's been a while! LOL) so I can definitely get a feel for your part of the world! This will be my 4th Pearl Jam show, though in a way I'm slightly disappointed that PJ and Bruce are only 24 hours apart, because all my memories of a great PJ show will be partly obliterated the very next night.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Cool, then I bet I have even been within a few miles of your neighbourhood! We have friends at Princeton, and when we've driven from DC up to visit family in NYC we sometimes call in at Princeton, and so I've been on 95 (the NJ turnpike) quite a lot, in fact we take 95 from Baltimore to Philly and then onto the Delaware Expressway up to Trenton, and then on to Princeton (er, I think, it's been a while! LOL) so I can definitely get a feel for your part of the world! This will be my 4th Pearl Jam show, though in a way I'm slightly disappointed that PJ and Bruce are only 24 hours apart, because all my memories of a great PJ show will be partly obliterated the very next night.

Yup, I'm not far from Princeton at all. Maybe we passed each other on Route 1 before. :heheh:

I live in Central Jersey, but I believe I was supposed to live in South Jersey, down the shore. So someday that's where I'll be living. :D

TheSound

Reaction score
I've stayed at Toms River a couple of times, many years ago, which is further south and a lovely city, our friends I mentioned they have a son who was a hugely talented ball player, and when they lived at Toms River he played on the team that won the Little League World Series!!!! So we were all invited to the celebrations. I love New Jersey, it's a beautiful state with some of the most picturesque towns.

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Thanks TS! I think New Jersey is a beautiful state. Some people have a false view of it, but those people are extremely naive. I'm glad you can see all the wonderful things we have here. :)

I remember when Toms River were the champs. That was a real big deal for that town and New Jersey. Your friends must have been thrilled!

TheSound

Reaction score
Thanks TS! I think New Jersey is a beautiful state. Some people have a false view of it, but those people are extremely naive. I'm glad you can see all the wonderful things we have here. :)

I remember when Toms River were the champs. That was a real big deal for that town and New Jersey. Your friends must have been thrilled!

We once stayed at Jackson, NJ for a weekend, and we went to Six Flags theme park, I am a rollercoaster nut and I went on both El Toro and Nitro at Six Flags, Nitro is in my Top 10, I've now been on over 150 rollercoasters, though that's nothing, I met a guy on Facebook who has been on over 1,000! I want to go back there as Six Flags now has Kingda Ka, which is the world's tallest rollercoaster, so I have to ride it!!

Hey, you want to play a Brucie game Jackie? I thought maybe we could post a Bruce song-of-the-day, a favourite track, and maybe explain why we love it in a couple of sentences, nothing too involved. Every song he writes is a little story, right? He never wastes words with pointless abstract verses, well hardly ever! So if you want to do this, then I'll start with my Bruce Song of The Day for today...

THE SOUND'S 'BRUCE SONG OF THE DAY', MONDAY

I can relate to this song so much, as I hardly ever watch TV any more as it's just endless fatuous celebrity obsessed garbage and reality shows, I guess Bruce used the image of cable channels to imply that material goods and luxury items don't buy happiness, and the album probably came out at a time when cable companies were offering an endless choice of channels, and then it ends with him shooting his TV set with a .44 Magnum, awesome! Love this track, though I don't understand why that Human Touch record is disliked so much, even by Bruce fans, there's some wicked rocking stuff on that record (Human Touch, Gloria's Eyes, Wish I Were Blind, Man's Job, Roll of the Dice) I didn't even notice until sometime last year I think it was when I was reading the CD sleeve, that American Idol judge Randy Jackson played bass guitar on that whole Human Touch album, and also on a couple of tracks on Lucky Town, so he straight away went way way up in my estimation, the bass on '57 Channels' is sooo funky!!

Last edited:

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
Sounds like fun Sound! :D Do we each do one every day or take turns? And anyone else can join in too. :grinthumb

JerseyGirl

Reaction score
JerseyGirl's 'BRUCE SONG OF THE DAY' MONDAY

You're Missing is a song from The Rising which was released in response to the 9/11 attacks. It's been said that part of the inspiration for the album came to him when someone pulled up next to Bruce in a car, rolled down his window and said, "We need you now." The song 'You're Missing' is a song about losing a loved one on that horrible day. It doesn't indicate any specifics of who is missing, only that it is a loved one. This song touches my heart.

You're Missing

Shirts in the closet, shoes in the hall
Mama's in the kitchen, baby and all
Everything is everything
Everything is everything
But you're missing

Coffee cups on the counter, jackets on the chair
Papers on the doorstep, you're not there
Everything is everything
Everything is everything
But you're missing

Pictures on the nightstand, TV's on in the den
Your house is waiting, your house is waiting
For you to walk in, for you to walk in
But you're missing, you're missing
You're missing when I shut out the lights
You're missing when I close my eyes
You're missing when I see the sun rise
You're missing

Children are asking if it's alright
Will you be in our arms tonight?

Morning is morning, the evening falls I have
Too much room in my bed, too many phone calls
How's everything, everything?
Everything, everything
You're missing, you're missing

God's drifting in heaven, devil's in the mailbox
I got dust on my shoes, nothing but teardrops

gcczep

Ever Onward...
Reaction score
All this talk of The Boss has prompted me to spin a 3 disc set of his show at The Winterland in San Fran 12/15/78. Magnanimous of the man to broadcast the show via FM and all music fans are grateful to the soul that taped it!

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
allmylife11