Bruce Hornsby & The Range

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
Always thought that Bruce Hornsby, together with his brother John, wrote some thought provoking songs. I've got some of BH's recordings and although The Way It Is was issued in 1986 it still sounds good today. I saw them live at the Hammersmith Apollo back in '88 and it was a superb concert which was recorded by the BBC and also appeared as a bootleg which I obtained at a record fair a few years later.

Loads more info at Bruce Hornsby - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia especially about his later work with the Grateful Dead and others.

bh1.jpg

bh2.jpg

bh3.jpg

bh6.jpg

This is the bootleg of the above concert

bh5.jpg

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have the first album in your OP Jeffrey but that is all. I do know a little about Bruce, but was surprised when I read that he played keyboards for many bands including the Grateful Dead before launching his solo career.

I am not familiar with his other releases, but his first one "The Way It Is", is excellent. Highly recommended.:tup:

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
A brief run-down on the 4 albums above:

The Way It Is (1986) Not one duff or filler track on this album. OK so the title track has been played to death on FM radio but other stand out tracks include Mandolin Rain, The River Runs Low and Every Little Kiss. A killer album and one that announced his intention to write and produce good music.

Scenes From The Southside (1988) Like its predecessor a monster album, with songs such as Look Out Any Window, The Valley Road, Jacob's Ladder and Till The Dreaming's Done. Some people might argue that it is a bit too much like The Way It Is but he'd hit a rich vein of songwriting so why not continue.

A Night On The Town (1990) Now with this album I can hear things starting, ever so slightly, to fall apart. An album full of great music with a couple of "fillers" mixed in with killer tracks such as Carry The Water, Fire On The Cross and the magnificent Lost Soul where he duets with Shawn Colvin.

Western Skyline (date unknown) Recorded initially by the BBC at the Hammersmith Odeon in London, this bootleg also contains some extra tracks taken from The King Buiscuit Hour and Westwood One live recordings. I was at one of two shows he played at the Odeon and can vouch that not only were they great concerts but great entertainment as well. During the first half of the show I saw, his electric keyboards went out of tune and while a roadie/technician fixed the problem he performed an impromptu song using his accordian and wise cracking with the audience.

So, for the benefit of everybody, that's my take on those albums and I'd be interested to know other people's opinion of the band. I'll only add that certainly with the first two albums, I never tire of playing them and they seem fresh today as they did when I first bought them, over 20 years ago.

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Reaction score
jeffrey said:
The Way It Is (1986) Not one duff or filler track on this album.
Ya I think thats my favourite song from him.....

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online