Un Official Website

1970: No BS
1972: A Night On the Town
1973: Yeah!
1974: School Punks
1975: Motor City Connection
1977: Brownsville Station
1978: Air Special

Man, Michigan was the place for Rock & Roll in the 70's bringing us high energy rock & roll with such bands as the Stooges, MC5, Mitch Ryder, Bob Seger, Ted Nugent, Alice Cooper(he was originally from Detroit but moved to Phoenix when he was young & got together w/ the band & by '71 he was back in Michigan), & Brownsville Station. Brownsville Station were the "Kings of Party" & my older sister, Sally, would agree with that. Brownsville Station played a few shows in the clubs in Buffalo, NY area & my sister never missed them. I was only a kid at the time but she would always go on about what a wild time those shows were (she was so excited when she caught a drum stick by the drummer). Anyway, she bought there 'No BS' album & would play it often. I was always mesmerized by the comic book album cover & I would listen to that record as much as she would rocking out to "Be Bop Confidential", "Rocking Robin", & Guitar Train (No BS & Edgar Winter's They Only Come out at Night were always played by my cool sister Sally).

Brownsville Station's classic line-up featured Cub Koda on guitar & vocals, Mike Lutz on guitar/Bass & Vocals, & Henry "H Bomb" Weck on drums & vocals (original drummer was TJ Cronley but he was gone by '71). Other members included bassist Tony Driggins & keyboardist Bruce Nazarian.

Their first album released was 'No BS' & it is my favorite album by them as it really captures the spirit of rock & roll & is played the way it is meant to be played. The 3 songs I mentioned earlier are great but the album really takes off on the Kick ass cover of "Roadrunner". The other track that really stands out is the cover of Link Wray's instrumental hit from 1958 "Rumble". They start off playing it & it sounds okay to me but then Cub screams out "Hey C'mon do the "Bleep" song right!!" & the band really launch into an amazing fast paced version of the classic.

71PPR9X9A4L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Brownsville Station reached their peak in '73 with their 'Yeah' album which featured their Smash hit "Smoking in the Boys Room". Yeah is another great album with a great cover of "Sweet Jane".

51sdF6oP8-L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Brownsville Station released a total of 7 great albums which are filled with some great rock & roll. The band split in '79 but Cub Koda continued performing & releasing solo albums. I was fortunate to see Koda around '82 & he put on a hell of a show mixing his solo stuff with Brownsville Station Material & Oldies. Sadly he passed away in 2000.

61MNH8ER4CL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61HK4KC3FYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61JD86A00EL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

61QG6XPGMQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score
Re: Brownsville Station

I cranked up my speakers many-a-time to ''Barefootin'''.

:hb:

Yeah, Brownsville Station was pretty rockin'. I remember my older brother bought the single of ''Smokin' In The Boy's Room'' back in the day. And I became a fan. I have a couple of their albums ''Yeah!'' and ''School Punks'' and a Best of/Greatest Hits on CD.

d4YPj.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^I still have my 45 single of that one, and Barefootin' on the B side is a good song too.

I only own a compilation CD of Brownsville Station, picked it up ten years ago.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Great thread!! Looks AWESOME!! I have a soft spot for this one...:grinthumb

61HK4KC3FYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

The Icon

Reaction score

No pretense, just kick ass rock. A lot of people looked down on them at the time as I recall because they weren't "arty". But to me, this stuff is the real deal.

muzik_guy

Certified Music Geek
Reaction score

This band KILLED. They were often dismissed because of "Smokin' In The Boys Room" & "Martian Boogie" but a ton of their stuff post-73 is just wailing relentless hard rock. The self-titled red LP in particular is just ferocious & Bruce Nazarian's performances are especially inspired. Love this band!

Berserker

Reaction score

This band is awesome, listening to Motor City Connection right now.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Staff online

Members online