Reaction score
Bright-Eyes.jpg

Indie / Folk / Alternative

Members:

Conor Oberst
Mike Mogis
Nate Walcott

Discography:

A Collection of Songs Written and Recorded 1995-1997 (1998)
Letting Off the Happiness (1998)
Fevers and Mirrors (2000)
Lifted or The Story Is in the Soil, Keep Your Ear to the Ground (2002)
A Christmas Album (2002)
I'm Wide Awake, It's Morning (2005)
Digital Ash in a Digital Urn (2005)
Noise Floor (Rarities: 1998-2005) (2006)
Cassadaga (2007)
The People's Key (2011)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
New album today!

+

Conor Obersts birthday!

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
How about a little background or thoughts for the uninitiated man? :grinthumb

Personally for me I never got into Bright Eyes but maybe I'll have to delve further. It seems like an artist I should like as he's a modern folk artist but maybe his comparison as a young Dylan has to do with it as I'm admittedly not a Dylan fan whether he's a folk icon or not. So if Connor shares his qualities then it's no wonder I'm not sold. having said that there is one Bright Eyes song I'm hooked on and think is pretty brilliant. I love this one:

Road To Joy

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Here's a little excerpt I took from wikipedia that I used on a musician bio (source sited of course ;) )

Conor Oberst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oberst began his musical career at age 13 while at St. Pius X St. Leo School with Ben Lancaster. He was in the school choir and other musical groups at the school. One night in 1992, Ted Stevens (of Mayday and Cursive) invited Oberst onstage to play. Bill Hoover, who was in attendance, invited Oberst to come back to play with him a couple of weeks later. In that short amount of time, Oberst wrote enough songs to fill out the set, establishing himself as an artist. Shortly thereafter, Oberst began committing his new repertoire to tape in his parents' basement with his father's four track cassette recorder and an acoustic guitar.

As for the song, that's an amazing song. And I think you would really like Bright Eyes or Conor Oberst in general. He's got a very very unique voice. I can admit that at some points it's hard to tolerate him, but otherwise he's a phenomenal guitar player and vocalist.

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Here's a little excerpt I took from wikipedia that I used on a musician bio (source sited of course ;) )

Conor Oberst - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

As for the song, that's an amazing song. And I think you would really like Bright Eyes or Conor Oberst in general. He's got a very very unique voice. I can admit that at some points it's hard to tolerate him, but otherwise he's a phenomenal guitar player and vocalist.

Four Winds was good but can you suggest another song from him like that where he's as aggressive vocally or that has as great of a build! I guess the folk I prefer has an emotional quality I like and from what I've heard Bright Eyes has that lazy sleepy quality like Death Cab that I don't care for as much. I hope you know what I mean as I don't mean it's bad but just a tone/style of music I don't prefer. Maybe you can change my mindset as Bright Eyes has a lot of albums and I may be misled by a small portion of it. :grinthumb

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Four Winds was good but can you suggest another song from him like that where he's as aggressive vocally or that has as great of a build! I guess the folk I prefer has an emotional quality I like and from what I've heard Bright Eyes has that lazy sleepy quality like Death Cab that I don't care for as much. I hope you know what I mean as I don't mean it's bad but just a tone/style of music I don't prefer. Maybe you can change my mindset as Bright Eyes has a lot of albums and I may be misled by a small portion of it. :grinthumb

Oh I know exactly what you mean, that's actually why I really love Four Winds more than anything off the Cassadaga album. I do agree that there is a lot of Bright Eyes that is a bit too slow. No One Would Riot For Less comes to mind. I wish there were a lot more "Four Winds"-ish songs.

Here's a few songs that come to mind though:

Jejune Stars (off the new album)

Classic Cars (from Cassadaga album)

First Day of my Life (from I'm Wide Awake It's Morning album)

Prime

Daydreaming
Reaction score
Some stuff off the Cassadaga album:

And one off the Im Wide Awake Its Morning album:

rollingstoned

Queens of the Stone Age
Reaction score
How about a little background or thoughts for the uninitiated man? :grinthumb

Personally for me I never got into Bright Eyes but maybe I'll have to delve further. It seems like an artist I should like as he's a modern folk artist but maybe his comparison as a young Dylan has to do with it as I'm admittedly not a Dylan fan whether he's a folk icon or not. So if Connor shares his qualities then it's no wonder I'm not sold. having said that there is one Bright Eyes song I'm hooked on and think is pretty brilliant. I love this one:

Road To Joy

Your not a Bob Dylan fan? :wa

joe

Reaction score
I read that some critics call him the "indie Bob Dylan." No question about that from what I hear. Very americana. Great to hear the different strings and horns and the organ on "Classic Cars", reminiscent of Dylan's Highway 61 Revisted IMO.:grinthumb

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online