Unorthodox Behaviour (1976)
Moroccan Roll (1977)
Masques (1978)
Product (1979)
Do They Hurt? (1980)
Is There Anything About? (1982)
Xcommunication (1992)
Manifest Destiny (1997)
Missing Period (recorded 1975-1976, released 1997)

Brand X is my favorite jazz fusion band of the 70's. Yeah, there was Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever, and Weather Report, but Brand X was the most melodic of them all.

Formed as a session band in 1975 by Phil Collins and Atomic Rooster's John Goodsall as an outlet for ther fusion leanings. The core of the band was comprised of Collins, Goodsall, Percy Jones on Bass and Robin Lumley on keyboards. They cycled through a host of drummers after Phil had to leave due to obligations with that other band he was in at the time. :D Morris Pert, Kenwood Denard, and Mike Clark were among the percussionists to fill in from the late 70's through 1997.

I'm not so scathing on Phil's output during the 80's either with Genesis or solo, because there were great songs, and If the 80's were Phil Collins' downfall as many believe it to be, then Brand X was his finest hour as a drummer and a musician.

Some of my favorite tunes, most are instrumentals.

Born Ugly

Disco Suicide

Don't Make Waves

Why I Should Lend You Mine

Access to Data

Last edited by a moderator:

Khor1255

Reaction score
Re: Brand X

Fantastic band. When people tell me Phil is among the best drummers I naturally think they are referring to his work in this project.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

YAy!! Glad someone else likes them. They pretty much blew me away the first time I heard them. I think Brand X is an excellent starting point for anyone looking to get into jazz fusion because their songs are so accessible.

Live they are even better, a bit harder and more rockin' than on record.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

One band I have heard a lot about over the years but as yet don't own even One of their albums...and I am a jazz-fusion fan.:peek

I've always considered Phil Collins an excellent drummer, his work in early Genesis before he took over lead vocals is proof of that.:drums:

Kuaizi

Reaction score

If anyone ever tells me that Phil Collins is an overrated drummer, I ask them if they've ever heard Brand X. ;)

The overall musicianship with Brand X is pretty stellar~~ If you're gonna start with one LG, pick up Unorthodox Behaviour. Good stuff!

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

^^Thanks for the rec Kuaizi.:hab:

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score

My favourite Brand X album is Moroccan Roll. John Goodsall, under the name Johnny Mandala, played on the fantastic Nice 'n' Greasy album by Atomic Rooster (with Chris Farlowe). However, my favourite jazz rock band of the seventies is Isotope with Gary Boyle.

Aktivator

aka Hightea
Reaction score

^ three nice picks BE love all three
Moroccan Roll is my second favorite album only because I didn't own it when I went to this but did own Unorthodox Behaviour.

SEPT. 26-27, 1979
An Evening With
BRAND X
Fearuring: Phil Collins, John Goodsall, Percy Jones, Robin Lumely, Peter Robinson
All seats $7.50
BRAND X show on Sept 27 broadcast on WNEW F.M.

they blew the doors of the place amazing show.

Big Fan of Brand X saw them open for John McLaughlin at Central Park too. That night they had Alan Holdsworth on guitar.

Big Ears

Music Lover
Reaction score

I saw Brand X in December 1975 with Sassafras. It must've been one of their earliest shows. I think I saw them again, but cannot remember when or with whom. I would love to have seen Mahavishnu.

architect

Supine In The Sunshine
Reaction score

Seems like everyone has a different favorite album. :grinthumb
My favorite album of theirs is Masques. Every song is killer. I actually came across this band by sheer accident. I was looking for new music and I downloaded a live show just for the hell of it, I think I liked the band name or something. Never even knew that Phil Collins was a part of it either, which wouldn't have mattered to me anyway since I still really don't like Genesis. I'm on a fusion kick now.

Another great album to pick up is Marscape. All of the members of Brand X play on it but it is attributed to Jack Lancaster and Robin Lumley. Some say it could have been the first Brand X album.

Marscape Album Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online