Boston Lead Singer Brad Delp dies at 55

Mr Ace

The Monster's Boss
Reaction score
ATKINSON, N.H. - Brad Delp, the lead singer for the band Boston, was found dead Friday in his home in southern New Hampshire. He was 55. Atkinson police responded to a call for help at 1:20 p.m. and found Delp dead. Police Lt. William Baldwin said in a statement the death was "untimely" and that there was no indication of foul play.

Delp apparently was alone at the time of his death, Baldwin said.

The cause of his death remained under investigation by the Atkinson police and the New Hampshire Medical Examiner's office. Police said an incident report would not be available until Monday.

Delp sang vocals on Boston's 1976 hits "More than a Feeling" and "Longtime." He also sang on Boston's most recent album, "Corporate America," released in 2002.

He joined the band in the early 1970s after meeting Tom Scholz, an MIT student interested in experimental methods of recording music, according to the group's official Web site. The band enjoyed its greatest success and influence during its first decade.

The band's last appearance was in November 2006 at Boston's Symphony Hall.

On Friday night, the Web site was taken down and replaced with the statement: "We just lost the nicest guy in rock and roll."

A call to the Swampscott, Mass., home of Boston guitarist Barry Goudreau was not immediately returned Friday night.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070310/ap_en_mu/obit_delp_6

Just Terrible...Delp had one of the greatest voices of all time

R.I.P

runtfan

Reaction score
Yep, this is a major bummer. Definitely one of the best voices ever in rock music.

Seemed like a really great guy too.

nugentgirl

Reaction score
This is so sad. I remember when I bought their first album in 1976.

Rest In Peace Brad. Thanks for the great music you gave us.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score
I remember when I first heard "More Than A Feeling" on the radio in 1976. I could scarcely believe my ears when Brad wailed those stratospheric vocals at the end of the last verse. It seemed humanly impossible. Certainly one of the most incredible examples of vocal gymnastics I have ever experienced.

I never heard Boston live, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge of how Delp managed to deliver such vocals live. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who actually experienced his singing on stage.

Kaoz

Reaction score
1173487129_9468.jpg

"It's more than a feeling, when I hear that old song they used to
play (more than a feeling)..."

runtfan

Reaction score
I remember when I first heard "More Than A Feeling" on the radio in 1976. I could scarcely believe my ears when Brad wailed those stratospheric vocals at the end of the last verse. It seemed humanly impossible. Certainly one of the most incredible examples of vocal gymnastics I have ever experienced.

I never heard Boston live, so I don't have any first-hand knowledge of how Delp managed to deliver such vocals live. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who actually experienced his singing on stage.

I saw Boston about three years ago and they definitely delivered live, vocally speaking. Of course they had ,like, 8 or 9 people onstage, and everybody sang (except Tom Scholz), so all the harmonies were covered. Brad Delp sounded fantastic. I couldn't always tell who was singing what harmonies, but they spared no expense to recreate the signature Boston sound. They had Fran Cosmo as part of the band. He was lead singer for Orion The Hunter, the early 80's Boston offshoot and had actually sung some lead on one of the later Boston albums. He sounds almost exactly like Brad Delp, and sang lead on a few of the "Brad Delp" tunes (an incredibly wise thing to do to ensure Delp's voice would hold up to the rigors of a tour).
Check out the link posted by nugebtgirl for the youtube clip. That was a couple weeks after I saw them. It gives you an idea of how good Brad Delp's voice still sounded.

Last edited:

Midnight Rider

Captain Karma
Reaction score
That is sad to hear. Boston had a great sound and Brad's singing was a major part of what made them that way.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IsisOFlynn

Staff online