1992 Keep the Faith
1995 These Days
2000 Crush
2002 Bounce
2005 Have a Nice Day
2007 Lost Highway
2009 The Circle

wikipedia.org

In 1980, Jon Bon Jovi started to work at Power Station Studios, a Manhattan recording facility where his cousin, Tony Bongiovi, was a co-owner. Jon Bon Jovi made several demos and sent them out to many record companies, but failed to make an impact.

In 1982, Jon Bon Jovi went to local radio station WAPP 103.5FM "The Apple". DJ Chip Hobart listened to Jon's demos and loved "Runaway", deciding to include it on the station's compilation album of local homegrown talent. The studio musicians who helped record "Runaway" were known as The All Star Review. They were: guitarists Dave Sabo and Tim Pierce, keyboardist Roy Bittan, drummer Frankie LaRocka and bassist Hugh McDonald.

The song began to get airplay around New York. Jon signed to Mercury Records, part of the PolyGram company. Jon Bon Jovi wanted a group name and the A&R staff at PolyGram came up with Bon Jovi.

In March 1983 Bon Jovi called David Bryan (then Rashbaum), who in turn called bassist Alec John Such and an experienced drummer named Tico Torres. At that time Bon Jovi's lead guitarist was Dave Sabo (a.k.a. The Snake), who later formed the group Skid Row. Dave Sabo was eventually replaced by Richie Sambora.

Band recorded the album (originally titled "Tough Talk" but renamed after the record company decided it was wiser to issue the album as a self titled release) at Power Station Studios and produced by Tony Bongiovi and Lance Quinn. Most of the songs are written by Jon Bon Jovi David Bryan and Richie Sambora. "Burning For Love" and "Come Back" were the very first songs written for the album. Three singles were released from the album, "Runaway", "She Don't Know Me" and in Japan only, "Burning For Love".

1. "Runaway"
2. "Roulette"
3. "She Don't Know Me"
4. "Shot Through the Heart"
5. "Love Lies"
6. "Breakout"
7. "Burning for Love"
8. "Come Back"
9. "Get Ready"

Last edited by a moderator:

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Re: The official Bon Jovi thread

Like Bon Jovi a lot and how like Aerosmith they changed styles, adapted to the times and wrote some of the best ballads ever. My favorite album of theirs is:

These Days

It had their darkest, moodiest work, there most passionate balladry and their most experimental phase IMO.

I also love:

Blaze of Glory
(I was so addicted to this song)

and

Always
(their best ballad hands down)

annie

metal maniac
Reaction score

What a band!!. Their sound carries me to another planet. I have every single one of their albums, including 100,000,000 Bon Jovi fans can't be wrong. I love it that they have changed their music over the years and not stayed with the same old same old. And I especially adore Richie Sambora. Whenever I want to escape I listen to Bon Jovi and I feel great. I love you guys!

ladyislingering

retired
Reaction score

I played the living hell out of their music when I was really young.

Still refreshing from time to time.

Such feel-good music attached to a deeply missed part of my life.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

ALRIGHT!!! 70's Guy is going for the epic thread!! Very Nice!!

One of my favorite Bon Jovi ballads here!! I agree with Soot...

...here's a different version of the video so we can play it twice.

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Bon_Jovi_7800_Fahrenheit.jpg

Released April 12,1985

wikipedia.org

7800° Fahrenheit is Bon Jovi's second album, and was released in April 1985. It introduced the classic '80s Bon Jovi logo that would later on be used in Slippery When Wet and New Jersey.

Approximate sales were in excess of one million copies.[citation needed] The singles "In and Out of Love" and "Only Lonely" both charted in the Billboard Hot 100 (although both failed to reach the top 40 status of "Runaway" from the previous album), and still get occasional airplay on US AOR and hard rock format radio stations.[citation needed]

The album was remastered and re-released in 1998, adding the music video for "In and Out of Love" as a bonus track.

The band has essentially disowned this album in recent years because they believe the material presented on it does not match the standards set on their later releases.[citation needed] Aside from a few extremely rare performances of the song 'Tokyo Road' (all of which occurred in Japan), nothing from this album has been played live in almost 20 years since the conclusion of the Jersey Syndicate Tour. However, January 21st, 2010, the Bon Jovi official website has announced that during The Circle Tour, from 2010 and 2011, Bon Jovi will play off of the 7800° Fahrenheit album, the first time in over 20 years.

1. "In and Out of Love"
2. "The Price of Love"
3. "Only Lonely"
4. "King of the Mountain"
5. "Silent Night"
6. "Tokyo Road"
7. "The Hardest Part Is the Night"
8. "Always Run to You"
9. "(I Don't Wanna Fall) To the Fire"
10. "Secret Dreams"

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

SlipperyWhenWet.jpg

Released Aug.18,1986

wikipedia.org

Slippery When Wet is the third studio album by Bon Jovi, released in August 1986 by Mercury Records. Slippery When Wet was an instant commercial success. The album features songs that are today considered as Bon Jovi's most well-known tracks such as "You Give Love A Bad Name", "Livin' on a Prayer" and "Wanted Dead or Alive". It spent eight weeks at number one on Billboard 200. Slippery When Wet is the band's best-selling album to date, with over 12 million copies sold in the United States and over 28 million copies worldwide[1] and received diamond certification from the Recording Industry Association of America. It was named the top selling album of 1987 by Billboard,[2] and is currently the 21st best-selling studio album of all time. The album is featured in the book 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die.

Despite the respectable moderate success of 7800° Fahrenheit, Bon Jovi weren't becoming the superstars they had hoped, and they changed their approach for their next album. Hiring professional songwriter Desmond Child as a collaborator, the group wrote 30 songs and auditioned them for local New Jersey and New York teenagers, basing the album's running order on their opinions. Bruce Fairbairn was chosen as the main producer of the album, with Bob Rock as the mixer. They recorded the album at Little Mountain Sound Studios in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

Much of the album's content was written by Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora, except "You Give Love A Bad Name", "Livin' on a Prayer", and "Without Love" which were co-written by Desmond Child. Desmond Child was brought in by the record company to help write some of the songs along with Jon Bon Jovi and Richie Sambora. This was the first time Child worked with Jon and Richie. He came to New Jersey, where they worked on this in the basement of Sambora's mother's house.

Jon Bon Jovi was initially reluctant to include "Livin' on a Prayer" on the album, believing that it was not a good enough song. Richie Sambora was convinced it was a hit single in the making, and so the band re-recorded it, releasing the second version on the final album. Ironically, it became one of the band's most popular and well-known songs. The song is referred to in Bon Jovi's 2000 single "It's My Life" among other songs. The original demo, which Jon Bon Jovi thought was not good enough for the album, can be found as a hidden track on the band's 2004 box set, 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong.

One of the songs written during the making of the album was "Edge of a Broken Heart", which did not feature on the final version of the album. It was first released on the soundtrack to the 1987 movie Disorderlies and has since been released on the band's box set as well as the special 2-CD edition of Cross Road.

Jon Bon Jovi has since said (from notes in the boxset booklet and on the boxset DVD (Disc 5)) that this track should have been on the album. Jon said "It was absolutely appropriate for the Slippery record - coulda, shoulda, woulda been on Slippery had cooler minds prevailed. Here's my formal apology." Jon also mentions that this was the same era when he thought "Livin' on a Prayer" wasn't a hit (see above) and he's never claimed to be a good A&R guy.

The album went through various name changes during its inception including "Wanted Dead Or Alive" (an album cover was produced with the band dressed as cowboys, the artwork was later used for the single release of the track of the same name), with Slippery When Wet being the final title conceived. According to Jon Bon Jovi in a DVD interview on the box set 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong, the album's working titles were Wanted Dead or Alive and Guns N' Roses; later the band decided to name the album Slippery When Wet after visiting strip clubs in Vancouver.

The cover consists of a wet black garbage bag with the words "Slippery When Wet" traced in the water. The album originally was to feature a busty, 34DD woman in a wet yellow tee shirt with the album name on the front of the shirt. This original version of the cover was swapped for the wet plastic bag cover just prior to release, mainly due to the fact that Jon Bon Jovi hated the pink edging to the cover. The exception is in Japan, where most releases of the album do include the original cover art.

The album became a massive success commercially. Between 1986 and 1987, Slippery When Wet produced an amazing string of hit singles, including three Top 10 Billboard Hot 100 hits, two of which ("You Give Love A Bad Name" and "Livin' On A Prayer") reached #1, making Bon Jovi the first hard rock band to ever have two consecutive #1 Billboard Hot 100 chart hits. Slippery When Wet also was the first hard rock album to spawn three Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 hits. The album also had impressive staying power, with 38 weeks inside the Billboard 200 Top 5, including 8 weeks at #1. Slippery When Wet was the best-selling album of 1987 in the United States, and eventually reached Diamond certification by the RIAA and current sales stand at 12 million copies, making it the 48th best-selling album in the United States. The album peaked at number one on the U.S. Billboard 200, becoming Bon Jovi's first number-one album in United States. Over eight months after its release, Slippery When Wet was certified seven times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America for 7 million U.S. shipments.

In the UK, it peaked at #6, spent a total of 107 weeks inside the Top 75, 23 of them on the Top 20. It became Bon Jovi's biggest-selling studio album in UK, achieving over 1 million copies sold, and receiving a 3x Platinum certification by the BPI. The album also achieved diamond status in Canada and six times platinum status in Australia.

1. "Let It Rock"
2. "You Give Love a Bad Name"
3. "Livin' on a Prayer"
4. "Social Disease"
5. "Wanted Dead or Alive"
6. "Raise Your Hands"
7. "Without Love"
8. "I'd Die for You"
9. "Never Say Goodbye"
10. "Wild in the Streets"

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Disorderlies_movie_poster.jpg

August 14, 1987

6."Edge of a Broken Heart" – Bon Jovi

wikipedia.org

"Edge of a Broken Heart" is a song by American rock band Bon Jovi. It was one of the songs written during the making of the album, Slippery When Wet, but was not featured on the final version of the album. It appeared on the soundtrack to the 1987 film, Disorderlies, and although no physical single was released in the United States, the song received enough airplay to peak at number 38 on the Billboard Hot 100 Airplay chart.[1] The song was later included on the band's 100,000,000 Bon Jovi Fans Can't Be Wrong 2004 box set as well as the special double-CD edition of Cross Road.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

I never miss the opportunity to post some yummilicious Bon Jovi pics :D

78.png

bon+jovi.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

That 70s Guy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

414MYK0KXTL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Released Sept.19,1988

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

New Jersey is Bon Jovi's fourth album, released on September 19, 1988. New Jersey was particularly notable for producing five Billboard Hot 100 Top 10 singles, the most top ten hits to date for a hard rock album. New Jersey was supported by the massive New Jersey Syndicate Tour, which ran from 1988 to 1990. Additionally, the album was supported by two home video releases: New Jersey: The Videos (a collection of music videos from New Jersey) and Access All Areas (a chronicle of the band's world tour). The album was remastered and re-released in 1998, adding the music video for "Lay Your Hands on Me" as a bonus track. As a trivia note the albums working title was "Sons Of Beaches".

The album was initially meant to be a double album, however this idea was rejected by the record company because they got nervous about the higher price point and decided they would only release a single album. Songs that were recorded but withheld from the album are[citation needed]:

* "Love is War"
* "Let's Make it Baby"
* "Outlaws of Love"
* "Judgment Day"
* "Growing Up the Hard Way"
* "Does Anybody Really Fall in Love Anymore?" (later recorded by Cher)
* "Rosie" (later recorded by Richie Sambora)
* "River of Love (Come Alive)"
* "Backdoor to Heaven"
* "Love Hurts"
* "Diamond Ring" (released on the album These Days)
* "Now and Forever"
* "Cadillac Man" (recorded for the movie of the same name but not used)

New Jersey was a commercial success. The album debuted at #8 on Billboard 200, the following week reached #1 and spent four weeks at #1. In the United States, it sold five million copies in six months. New Jersey was certified seven times platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America for 7 million U.S. shipments. By 2009, worldwide sales exceeded 18 million units.

New Jersey also holds the record for the hard rock album to spawn the most Top 10 singles, with five singles charting on the Top 10 of the Billboard Hot 100 Singles Chart in United States. No other hard rock album has ever equaled or broken this feat. "Bad Medicine" and the ballad "I'll Be There for You", both hit #1 on Billboard Hot 100. The album's three other singles ("Born to Be My Baby", "Lay Your Hands on Me", and "Living in Sin") reached the Top 10.

1. "Lay Your Hands on Me"
2. "Bad Medicine"
3. "Born to Be My Baby"
4. "Living in Sin"
5. "Blood on Blood"
6. "Homebound Train"
7. "Wild Is the Wind"
8. "Ride Cowboy Ride"
9. "Stick to Your Guns"
10. "I'll Be There for You"
11. "99 in the Shade"
12. "Love for Sale"