"Lose My Heart" - 1:55
"Outskirts" - 3:19
"Ebony Eyes" - 3:33
"Lose Your..." - 0:45
"Carolene" - 3:13
"Dancin' Eyes" - 3:20
"Danchiva" - 3:15
"Lose Your Heart" - 3:16​

I just found this album, but I already knew a few songs like Sentimental Lady and Ebony Eyes, but the rest of the album is very good too!

It starts off with a nice, steady, slow song.. Nothing overly impressive about it, but it is a great example of one of those 70s "Nice" songs:heheh:

The Next song, Easy To Fall reminds me a lot of the Police, and it eases into the song after, which is much harder rock.... Hot Love In a Cold World.. fairly heavy song, reminds me of April Wine and Black Sabbath.. definitely a stand out on the album

The next one, Mystery Train is a fun tune, nothing innovative or special, but very fun..

Next up, Lose My Heart, another one that reminds me a lot of the Police, also of Bernie Leadon's solo effort, which I absolutely love.. This tune is really nice, great, great vocals, just rock n roll.. It's almost even power pop sounding, some very simple guitar leads going on and it is just a simple solid rock song...

After Lose My Heart, it gets a little funky.. sound effects and delay ridden guitar.. Outskirts, very 70s funk..

The biggest standout track on the album.. Ebony Eyes.. Smack in the middle of the album and absolutely great instrumentation and vocals.. the arrangement is excellent as well.. it's very seventies, but it doesn't sound stereotypical, one that was ahead of it's time, but you know when it's from.. it features some very cool string sections, and mixes some of the greatest elements of hard rock, soft rock, and even some great vocal harmonies.. You can also hear influence from stuff like Frankie Valli or Buddy Holly, very early 60s influence in it too.. Great Song!

Continuing with side 2, it gets a little funky again.. I don't really like this next song, it sounds like they tried to combine all the styles on the album into one song, but with the amount of effort that makes a filler song.. Thankfully it's only 45 seconds:D

The next song is my least favorite full length on the album.. it mixes rock guitar and disco string sections.. Definitely not my thing.. it just doesn't mix well witht he vocals and definitely a filler song IMO

After Carolene, Dancin' Eyes is up.. Cool vocals on this one, and very disco-y, pretty cool tune, but not my favorite..

Second to last song, Danchiva.. Starts off very slow, then picks up at the chorus, once again very nice vocals.. and this one really, really reminds me of the Police.. it's very disco-y, has a very "groovy" bassline.. very groovy.. pretty cool tune

and finally, Lose Your Heart, I liked Lose My Heart a lot.. It has an overly long, string section intro.. I don't like that, but once it picks up at the 1 minute mark.. Very cool song.. a softer rock tune, dominant acoustic guitar with some, basic, but very nice and tasteful electric guitar leads.. This one was a good note to end the album on

Overall, I give this album a 7.5/10
Good for lots of listens, but it isn't overly, overly impressive.. Just solid:grinthumb

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I love these old sappy and fun albums from the 70's. Ebony Eyes was a very popular song back in the day. Sentimental Lady is almost too sappy even for me, but still a solid song as far as songwriting goes.

Nice review, eberg. I had all but forgotten about Bob Welch, it has been so long since I have listened to this album. Brings me back to memories of high school dances :)

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
I have to thank Dave78 for hooking me up with French Kiss a long time ago. It is hard to find and I had given up.

I agree with EB's overall view, a really good fun record, nothing earthshaking but good tight little songs that are pleasant to listen to. Didn't hurt to have Christine McVie, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and I think Lindsay Buckingham as well appear on the record.;)

rtbuck

Reaction score
I like this record & great job on the review eberg! I know she didn't sing on the record but when Bob Welch appeared at Cal Jam II in 1978 Stevie Nicks joined him onstage to sing back up on Ebony Eyes. I remember seeing this on a Cal Jam II TV special that aired after the concert

Reaction score
I have to thank Dave78 for hooking me up with French Kiss a long time ago. It is hard to find and I had given up.

I agree with EB's overall view, a really good fun record, nothing earthshaking but good tight little songs that are pleasant to listen to. Didn't hurt to have Christine McVie, Mick Fleetwood, John McVie and I think Lindsay Buckingham as well appear on the record.;)

Thanks for the positive comments so far everyone:grinthumb:cheers:

I noticed that fleetwood mac had lost of playing on the album when I went to Wiki to get the track list.. I really respect how it didn't sound anything like Fleetwood Mac though.. it shows the versatility of Fleetwood Mac and Bob Welch:D

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
Hey Eberg, cool well balanced writeup! It definitely didn't sound like the album blew you away but it made for a cool review as it was honest from beginning to end! Most people review albums that are only positive for them which make objectivity hard! :D The tracks displayed were alright with me! Keep up the good work! :grinthumb

METALPRIEST

Reaction score
It's one of those cool 70's records that make you feel all warm and fuzzy...more so if your a kid growin' up in this time. Good memories, good times and I enjoyed the review!!

:cheers2

Reaction score
Hey Eberg, cool well balanced writeup! It definitely didn't sound like the album blew you away but it made for a cool review as it was honest from beginning to end! Most people review albums that are only positive for them which make objectivity hard! :D The tracks displayed were alright with me! Keep up the good work! :grinthumb

I meant for my review to be fairly positive!:heheh:

I like the record.. Just not my favorite of all time:D

aeroplane

In Urgent Need of Advice
Reaction score
My favorite Bob Welch pitched for the Oakland A's in the 80's and 90's. Sorry, I couldn't resist! :D

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online