1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BOB DYLAN with special guest B.B. KING ~ Adelaide Entertainment Centre, 19/4/2011

Discussion in 'Live Concert Reviews.' started by TheFeldster, Apr 19, 2011.

1. TheFeldster

TheFeldster Mr Kite

Live concert that I've just returned home from :)

Here's my review.

PART 1: B.B. KING
    [​IMG]
    The thrill is gone away
    You know you done me wrong baby
    And you'll be sorry someday

First up for the night was the King of the Blues, B.B. King and his trusty traveling companion Lucille.

For someone who is 85 years of age, B.B. King can certainly still belt out a tune. His voice is incredibly strong for someone of his age.

His set was short, and that was it's main downfall. Between a lengthy band introduction, bantering with the crowd and the customary guitar solos, drum solos, keyboard solos etc that come with a blues set, only 5 or 6 songs got played.

Fortunately the classics such as "The Thrill Is Gone", "Rock Me Baby" and "Guess Who" survived such a small set.

The musicianship was slick and well oiled from all band members, and you'll be hard pressed to find a better blues performance.

If only it went for longer.

4 out of 5 stars.

PART 2: BOB DYLAN
    [​IMG]
    Where have you been, my blue-eyed son?
    Where have you been, my darling young one?

After the excitement of B.B King's set, it was d-day as far as the quality of my night was concerned. Reviews of Bob Dylan's recent concerts have ranged from "fantastic" to "inexplicately horrible" and I was really hoping it would lean towards the former on this occasion.

I'm pleased to say I can draw one of three conclusions from the night's show.

1) People who complain about Bob Dylan concerts have way too high expectations
    2) People who complain about Bob Dylan concerts love to whinge over trivial matters
    3) Bob Dylan played one of his best shows of the last 30 years in Adelaide

Bob played a great set mixing old and new, classic and obscure together into a great picture of Bob's career. He alternated between playing organ and guitar, and his voice held up for the most part, although for parts of "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight" and "A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall" his voice didn't quite make the high notes he'd set himself earlier in his life.

His backing band were technically brilliant, although his lead guitarist seemed to think they were doing the Jimi Hendrix version of "All Along the Watchtower" during the encore. Bloody show off.

Bob didn't do much interacting with the crowd, but you don't expect that with someone as reclusive as Bob Dylan.

Overall, a fantastic experience that was uniquely Bob Dylan and made me one very happy Feldy.

4.5 stars out of a possible 5.

2. Groovy Man

Groovy Man I'm Not Like Everybody Else

Wow...what a double bill!

B.B. and Dylan :grinthumb

two legends in one night!

I must go and see B.B. - I've never seen him....yet!

Seen Bob once....

must of been a heck of a show!

Dylan always has a great band behind him....

Yeah, Bob isn't what he used to be....but you still gets shivers...

"A Hard Rain's a-Gonna Fall"...nice!

Glad you enjoyed the show and had a good time, Feldster!

A night of legends!

:cheers2

3. Prime

Prime Daydreaming

I am definitely jealous Feldster. I can only imagine how great of a show that must've been. I would have gone for Dylan alone, but B.B. King is an outstanding addition to the show.

4. TheFeldster

TheFeldster Mr Kite

One of the coolest parts of the night I thought was the lighting during Bob's set. The backdrop was dark except for a large spotlight with Bob's shadow through it, giving off a mysterious sort of aura around Bob. I thought it looked pretty cool :)

5. Lynch

Lynch Here for the cookies and the tunes

I'd LOVE to see BB King. Him being the "opener" is just about tragic though.

I saw Bob in about 87 or 88 (right around that time, don't remember the exact year) and this is sort of what was going on at that concert too. Entire stage was dark for the majority of the concert, except for spotlight or two on Bob, and they weren't bright spotlights. He stood in one place the entire concert, had his hat pulled down so far that you couldn't see his face. When the show was over, he walked off. That was it.

One of the worst concerts I've ever seen in my life.

6. TheFeldster

TheFeldster Mr Kite

Yeah, I've heard people say Bob did that in his last visit to Adelaide.

However, he was slightly more interactive, moved about, even did a band introduction. And you could see his face.

7. Harkat

Harkat Senior Member

Dude, how much were the tickets??

8. TheFeldster

TheFeldster Mr Kite

125 dollars for silver seating, coulda gotten up the back for 70.

9. Harkat

Harkat Senior Member

Not bad!
    Sounds like it was a blast!
    :grinthumb

10. UkuleleElvis

UkuleleElvis Junior Member

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011