Bob Dylan vs. Tom Waits vs. Celine Dion

Who's singing voice do you like the most?

• Bob Dylan

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • Tom Waits

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Celine Dion

Votes: 11 29.7%

• Total voters

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Dylan, easily. Extremely under-rated singer, he's raw and natural and perfect for his music. This chatter about the hack Dion as a technically adept singer is irrelevant to anything connected with music that conveys genuine emotions. She's an automaton.

Tom Waits is excellent but in small doses.

I don't consider Dylan underrated. Dylan is one of those singers who can't sing but has such amazing songwriting talent that he changed the landscape of music and the way we classify " Vocals ". It's OK to have a gravelly old voice and to half talk/half sing in a song, thanks to Dylan. I consider him to be a Legendary talent..........I'm just not a huge fan of his voice...lol.

Of course I'm not a fan of Celine, but aesthetically her voice is easier on the ears.

trovador-14-06-10-A.jpg

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
Dylan, easily. Extremely under-rated singer, he's raw and natural and perfect for his music

Yes. Yes. Yes. You've absolutely hit the nail on the head here, genuinely couldn't have put that any better myself. Bob gets my vote as well. His voice is not technically perfect, but then again neither are his songs (and even his lyrics - for instance, 'I ain't gonna work on Maggie's Farm no more' isn't the correct grammar given that he makes it pretty plain he doesn't want to work there!). His voice is instantly recognisable and be very moving - Knockin' On Heaven's Door, You're A Big Girl and If You See Her Say Hello spring most readily to my mind.

JimJam

Reaction score
Yes. Yes. Yes. You've absolutely hit the nail on the head here, genuinely couldn't have put that any better myself. Bob gets my vote as well. His voice is not technically perfect, but then again neither are his songs (and even his lyrics - for instance, 'I ain't gonna work on Maggie's Farm no more' isn't the correct grammar given that he makes it pretty plain he doesn't want to work there!). His voice is instantly recognisable and be very moving - Knockin' On Heaven's Door, You're A Big Girl and If You See Her Say Hello spring most readily to my mind.

Yes, and his voice can take on a perfect sneer on songs such as Ballad of a Thin Man and Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues. I've heard Judy Collins' cover of Tom Thumb; she sang in a technically perfect monotone, losing the air of weariness so suitable to Dylan's recording.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Members online

No members online now.