Register to remove these ads

Bob Dylan vs. Elton John

Discussion in 'Old Polls' started by Cosmic Harmony, May 30, 2010.

Who do you think is better?

1. Bob Dylan

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Elton John

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soot and Stars

Soot and Stars I AM SOOT! Staff Member

Voting faster than a speeding bullet on this one! Elton John by a trillion miles! :grinthumb

2. Foxhound

Foxhound retired

Sorry. I'll stick to English, Lithuanian, French and Latin.

:rolleyes:

3. LG

LG Fade To Black

I like Jack's post but the order is wrong.:nw:

The Beatles.......then Elton John...................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................about here Bob Dylan.:grinthumb

I like Dylan, but only in small doses. He did write some great songs on his own, as well as take credit for other peoples, but that was common in the Folk community of the day, similar to the "Sampling" the Hip-Hop/Rap community does today.

Elton John right up to Blue Moves is good quality, after that I didn't follow him.

4. Groovy Man

Groovy Man I'm Not Like Everybody Else

Elton John musically died in 1976. Elton had a awesome 6 year run. It was great. He ruled the charts. He was almost Elvis - but not quite.

Bob Dylan....no contest and no explanation needed. Either you love and 'get' Dylan or not.

5. Sox

Sox Avoiding The Swan Song

Bob.

6. Flower

Flower retired

Silly me .. when I posted that image, I thought that Bob looked like he couldn't believe that anyone would/could compare him to Elton John.

I saw Dylan in 2002 and it was an amazing set at the New Orleans Jazz Festival .. I know that it's hit or miss lately when it comes to Dylan concert wise but this thread is about the body of work of these artists and not if you enjoyed seeing their concerts.

Clapton was "sleepwalking" to quote a reviewer (and I agree) in his short tour with Jeff Beck, I won't pay to see Clapton again, I would pay to see Jeff Beck or Boby Dylan ... If I was given tickets to see Elton John, I would give them away.

Btw ~ Even if Clapton was "sleepwalking" at that show .. I still love and respect his body of work and enjoy his music. If I hit a "bad" Dylan show, I would still love and respect his music.

7. jackory

jackory The NEW King of Pop

Like I said, my vote for Dylan took into account the influence he has wielded since the very early sixties and not just "whose music I like best". To be honest, musically I prefer "Don't Shoot Me" and "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" more than anything Dylan has ever done. Lyrically, though, there's no contest, and even if there were, Elton didn't write his own lyrics, so there's another thing Dylan has over him.

In the future I will bear in mind that these polls are about "who do you like better of the two?" and that they don't take into account other factors that are less subjective.

My bad.

I do agree that "Blue Moves" is EJ's last decent album, but his last really GOOD album was the brilliant, criminally under rated "Rock of the Westies".

I can almost guarantee that the "folk community" took more from Dylan than he ever took from them.

8. LG

LG Fade To Black

I never really liked "Rock of the Westies" that much...I don't think anything you posted in here deserves "My Bad" Jack.

I was just having some fun with your comparison.:grinthumb

9. Flower

Flower retired

Vote with your heart and have fun .. someone will aways disagree with you ... no biggie ... :grinthumb

10. jackory

jackory The NEW King of Pop

Oh, I don't mind being "disagreed with". Everyone's entitled to their opinion. It just seems so obvious to me that Dylan's significance in 20th century popular music outshines Elton John's to a significant degree. But if the poll is just a "who I like better" kind of thing then I can understand why Dwight is doing as well as he is. No biggee. I will just have to keep that in mind when voting in the future.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.