Bob Dylan / The Band - Before The Flood (1974)

Barolojoe

Reaction score
´

I think there are better, more inspired live albums of Bob Dylan with and without Robbie Robertson, Rick Danko & Co. available.

Especially the legendary Royal Albert Hall Concert of 1966, meanwhile officially out on LP & CD:

................................................. http://johannasvisions.com/wp-conte...Royal_Albert_Hall-_Concert_Live_1966-back.jpg

The Band without Bob Dylan (and with an additional brass section) delivered a great performance in December 1971 in New York, released on the triple LP 'Rock of Ages':

............................. Stuck In The Past!: The Band - Rock Of Ages (1972) .

I remember having listened to 'Rock of Ages' several years ago for the first time, then I bought 'Before the Flood'. After the comparison I was disappointed and flogged 'Before the Flood' immediately.

'Rock of Ages' on the other hand has still a honored place in my collection.... .

´

Last edited:

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
Along with "The Basement Tapes", this album is a great snapshot of Dylan and the Band. I bought my copy at a church bazaar many, many years ago and still enjoy listening to it. I'd rate it at about 8/10, especially for The Band's contribution.

deerwan

Play It Loud
Reaction score
When Dylan and The Band hit the road in '74 it was like the Second Coming.
It was the Second Coming. The Band needed cash yes, but Dylan was
very interested in a reprisal of what he had begun almost ten yrs before.
And he wanted to unleash it on a burned out, defunct post-Nixonian
'merica. Dylan was restless, having gone and going through some less
than perfect domesticity trials and tribulations.

Hit the road jack and hit it they did! To a hoopla of near mass hysteria from the press, the fans and the famous the likes nobody had seen, with all due respect to the Stones. Rock fans, artists, bohemes, beatniks, the fringe dwellers, they all wanted to be saved. The performances were searing, Dylan spitting and roaring his songs out to the jubilant audiences, but in a way they had never heard. This was white light-white heat Dylan. The sneers were thicker, the sarcasm more pointed. The Band pumped it all up like only The Band could-like a locomotive engine-giving the music an almost Spectorish dark storm howl form the stage.

That is what you can pick up from the recording. I have several boots of the tour,
probably the best being 'Paint the Daytime Black'. It's better than Flood, but the
official is still pretty good. I am listening to my favorite band performance right
now, The Band Live at the Academy of Music. It's a handsome redo of Rock of Ages
and the restore-remix sounds gorgeous.

Good Listening!

Last edited:

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
Along with "The Basement Tapes", this album is a great snapshot of Dylan and the Band. I bought my copy at a church bazaar many, many years ago and still enjoy listening to it. I'd rate it at about 8/10, especially for The Band's contribution.

When Dylan and The Band hit the road in '74 it was like the Second Coming.
It was the Second Coming. The Band needed cash yes, but Dylan was
very interested in a reprisal of what he had begun almost ten yrs before.
And he wanted to unleash it on a burned out, defunct post-Nixonian
'merica. Dylan was restless, having gone and going through some less
than perfect domesticity trials and tribulations.

Hit the road jack and hit it they did! To a hoopla of near mass hysteria from the press, the fans and the famous the likes nobody had seen, with all due respect to the Stones. Rock fans, artists, bohemes, beatniks, the fringe dwellers, they all wanted to be saved. The performances were searing, Dylan spitting and roaring his songs out to the jubilant audiences, but in a way they had never heard. This was white light-white heat Dylan. The sneers were thicker, the sarcasm more pointed. The Band pumped it all up like only The Band could-like a locomotive engine-giving the music an almost Spectorish dark storm howl form the stage.

That is what you can pick up from the recording. I have several boots of the tour,
probably the best being 'Paint the Daytime Black'. It's better than Flood, but the
official is still pretty good. I am listening to my favorite band performance right
now, The Band Live at the Academy of Music. It's a handsome redo of Rock of Ages
and the restore-remix sounds gorgeous.

Good Listening!

my own thoughts too! wonderful album...:bow::bow::bow:

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oliverevans

Members online