Bob Dylan (Official Thread)

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
Dylan's first interview for three years. It's with AARP Magazine.
Bob Dylan Exclusive Shadows in the Night Interview - AARP

Now I wish I hadn't boycotted AARP all these years!!:wa

Bob Dylan is borrowing a page from U2's playbook to help promote his new album "Shadows in the Night" -- although Mr. Dylan's approach is far more analogue than U2's: The enigmatic singer-songwriter is giving away free copies of his album to readers of AARP Magazine at random.

Last September, U2 teamed up with Apple for the debut of its album "Songs of Innocence," making it available free to half a billion users of Apple's iTunes. That meant the album unexpectedly showed up on iPhone owners' iTunes. The move drew sharp criticism and U2 lead singer Bono ultimately apologized.

Mr. Dylan, however, is sending physical copies of his album via the U.S. mail.

The album -- in compact disc format -- will be inserted randomly into 50,000 copies of the February/March issue of AARP The Magazine, where Mr. Dylan also adorns the cover. The magazine's editor in chief, Bob Love, who was formerly managing editor at Rolling Stone, interviewed Mr. Dylan for the cover story.

"Shadows in the Night," Mr. Dylan's 36th studio album, will be released Feb. 3.

"If it was up to me, I'd give you the records for nothing, and you could give them to [every reader of your] magazine," he says in the interview.

AARP The Magazine is the largest print publication by circulation in the U.S., with nearly 23 million readers through the first six months of 2014, according to the Alliance for Audited Media, which tracks print circulation. The magazine is sent to members of AARP, a non-profit organization that advocates on behalf of people older than 50. The organization has nearly 38 million members.

~~ AdAge

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
I've never heard of AARP, but I'm really looking forward to Bob’s new album.

The full details for those interested:

Shadows in the Night

The album consists of covers of traditional pop standards made famous by Frank Sinatra, chosen by Dylan himself

Track list:

1. "I'm a Fool to Want You"
2. "The Night We Called It a Day"
3. "Stay with Me"
4. "Autumn Leaves"
5. "Why Try to Change Me Now"
6. "Some Enchanted Evening"
7. "Full Moon and Empty Arms"
8. "Where Are You?"
9. "What'll I Do"
10. "That Lucky Old Sun"

Bob_Dylan_-_Shadows_in_the_Night.jpg

Some appetizers:

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Hmmmm.Dylan doing Sinatra.Hey,why the hell not.After all ol' Robert Zimmerman made such and indelible mark on popular music history so long ago,an attempt at re-creating lounge music surely couldn't possibly hurt his legendary reputation.........................

analoggal

Woman of the Country
Reaction score
Hmmmm.Dylan doing Sinatra.Hey,why the hell not.After all ol' Robert Zimmerman made such and indelible mark on popular music history so long ago,an attempt at re-creating lounge music surely couldn't possibly hurt his legendary reputation.........................

Could somebody help me out here and classify Sinatra's music? It seems that his music is so much more than 'lounge' music (at least what I think of as lounge music). Frank Sinatra's music was phenomenal - as is Bob Dylan's. I am definitely getting Shadows in the Night.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
Could somebody help me out here and classify Sinatra's music? It seems that his music is so much more than 'lounge' music (at least what I think of as lounge music).

"Lounge music" is such a terrible term. It makes me think of music in hotels or elevators. I think it's difficult to pinpoint his music to just one genre. His music goes from vocal jazz to so called standards to big band and swing.

My local record store categorize him "Easy Listening", which really doesn't say a whole lot either imo.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
Much of Sinatra's work may have been "lounge music",but he actuall began by singing with big bands back in the 1940's.His first number one was a little ditty called "I'll Never Smile Again",which in the summer of 1940 became Billboard magazine's first ever number one song.As far as the "lounge music" thing is concerned,as much as the term does apply to many of his songs,he had his own unique style of the genre,which earned him the nikname "The Voice".I always kinda liked "Strangers in the Night",the Paul Anka penned "My Way","It Was a Very Good Year" and his 1967 duet with daughter Nancy "Something Stupid".I'm well aware that some if not many lounge songe were merely pure schmaltz,but Ol' Blue Eyes was a terrfic standout here simply because he did it "his way"..................

Jet

Midway Up The Ceiling
Reaction score
Much of Sinatra's work may have been "lounge music," but he actually began by singing with big bands back in the 1940's. His first number one was a little ditty called "I'll Never Smile Again," which in the summer of 1940 became Billboard magazine's first ever number one song. As far as the "lounge music" thing is concerned, as much as the term does apply to many of his songs, he had his own unique style of the genre, which earned him the nickname "The Voice". I always kinda liked "Strangers in the Night," the Paul Anka penned "My Way," "It Was a Very Good Year" and his 1967 duet with daughter Nancy "Something Stupid." I'm well aware that some if not many lounge song were merely pure schmaltz, but Ol' Blue Eyes was a terrific standout here simply because he did it "his way"..................

I never knew that Frank Sinatra was known as "The Voice." :grinthumb

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
"Seventeen",a 1966 nominee for the 1965 Record of the Year Grammy Award,is a wonderful capsule of the many phases of ALL of our lives,but without causing the listener to fell depressed via the aging process.The album the classic tune was lifted from "September of My Years" is highly recommended..........

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustybroom

Staff online

Members online