Blue Oyster Cult - Blue Oyster Cult (1972)

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My little review on Blue Oyster Cults self titled record from 1972.
220px-Blue_Oyster_Cult.png

Tracklist
1. Transmaniacon MC
2. Im on the lamb but I aint no sheep.
3. Shes as beautiful as a foot.
4. Then Came the Last Days of May
5. Stairway to the Stars
6. Workshop of the Telescopes
7. Before the Kiss , A Redcap
8. Redeemed
9. Screams
10. Cities on Flame with Rock n Roll​

This was suggested to me to review by Magic, was happy to have listened to this record. Has that classic boogie feel to it. Reminds me of a lot of bands with similar musical styles like early Deep Purple, The Doors, Status Quo to some extent that had similar boogie style rhythm.
Great debut album that varies with a high uplifting start with songs like Transmaniacon and Im on the lamb, then has a very mellow undertone as you hit Shes As Beautiful as a Foot and Then Came the last days of May.
I have heard Oyster Cults more recent stuff in comparison, much heavier in my opinion compared to this album, this one is a must for fans of boogie style rock. I loved the whole album, Before the Kiss is another must hear.

Is my favourite.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Re: Blue Oyster Cult (1972)

Appreciate that, tried to just write it up with at least knowledge of it yet keep it simple and have my own opinion of it :)

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Cool little write up there...sounds like you enjoyed it! :grinthumb

It's a good record! :cheers2

joe

Reaction score

Superb album. Just behind Cultosaurus Erectus as my fav BOC album. Very heavy album for it's time. Massive riffage on this track:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Nice job, Riff Raff, glad you liked the album.

Just wanted to touch on something, though, "I am On the Lamb, But I Ain't No Sheep" was later re-written as "The Red and the Black" on the Tyranny and Mutation album.

Reaction score

Nice write up:grinthumb

This isn't my favorite BOC album, but it's a good listen.. Like you said, it has a similar groove and early rock n roll "boogie" feel.. The majority of this album has tons of energy, which is awesome, and my favorite is Cities On Flame With Rock n Roll..

Nice choice and reviwe:tup:

rtbuck

Reaction score

I Love the album & it contains probably my favorite B.O.C tunes... "Stairway to the Stars"

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Its a rock solid debut album definitely. Appreciate the feedback too, its what keeps me wanting to write reviews :)

Rocker440

Reaction score

Excellent review Riff Raff! The S/T album is one of my very favorite BOC albums. Although I believe it would be extremely difficult for me to pick one BOC album as my favorite, the S/T album is very close to being just that. It was the first BOC album that I heard many years ago when it was first released, and it certainly remains one of the albums that I listen to a lot! I also believe that there are probably many albums that hold special significance for many people, and for various reasons and/or perhaps memories, occasions, as this album always will with myself!

One of the main things that I always enjoyed with the terrific songs and music on this great album are the diverse styles, tones, moods and influences both with regard to many of the songs, and also with the performances throughout the album. I agree there are some excellent boogie styles on a couple of songs, which may be from various influences of other bands and musicians of that era, but also with some of the songs having some noticeable, darker lyrics and subject matter for some songs, too.

joe :cheers: has posted one of the best songs on this album, and also one song that is awesome to experience live, imo!

I was going to post one of the songs that I like very much, but it's been blockheaded courtesy of Sony! :bonk: :nw:

Is the track listing that you've posted from a remastered version, Riff Raff? If I remember fairly correctly the edition that I have, the songs are in a different order.

:cheers2

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Staff online

Members online