Blodwyn Pig & Mick Abrahams (Official Thread)

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score
Second to the right then straight on till morning
A16UONkgObL._SL600_.jpg

Official Website

Ahead Rings Out (Island, August 1969)
Getting To This (Chrysalis, April 1970)
Lies (1993)
All Tore Down: Live (1994)
Pig-in-the-Middle (1996)
The modern Alchemist (Indigo Rec. 1999)
All Said And Done Shakedown Records 2004 two-CD 1 DVD boxed set
The Radio Sessions 1969 to 1971 (Secret Records 2012)

Briefly: Mick Abrahams was Jethro Tull's guitarist for "This Was" and he then left/was sacked from the band and he formed Blodwyn Pig for IMO some inspired rock 'n' blues albums before he subsequently left both the band and the music business. For many years he sold life insurance, was a swimming pool attendant etc until he got the urge to reform the Pig in 1990's and continue to make albums and perform live, still with his unique and wonderful guitar playing.

Late last year he suffered a heart attack and stroke but from all acounts he is on the mend although it may take some time before he regains his guitar skills to the level they were before his illness.

Having seen Mick play live, both solo and with variations of Blodwyn Pig, I can only say that not only is he an extremely gifted player but that he is friendly and as honest as they come. If you like "This Was" then a listen to Blodwyn Pig will be extremely rewarding.

Some links:

Mick Abrahams-Blodwyn Pig Official site

Mick Abrahams - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mick Abrahams - The Official Jethro Tull Website

Mick Abrahams

Blodwyn Pig

Mick Abrahams Band

Chrome Oxide - Music Collectors pages - Blodwyn Pig - 01/22/2007

Last edited by a moderator:

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
Re: Blodwyn Pig & Mick Abrahams

I agree ^^^ Mick is a really gifted player and has a good voice too. I have seen him a couple of times once with his old mucker Clive Bunker in the band and once doing a solo gig. We had a great night on both occasions.

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score

I like This Was, and knew some of the story about Mick, but not the details of where he ended up.

Sorry to hear about his medical problems, and I hope he does get back all of his abilities.

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score

Some great Blodwyn Pig moments on you tube including "See My Way" and "Same Old Story", two of their singles.

Their first, and only, 3 vinyl singles in the UK were:

1-14.jpg

3-12.jpg

5-8.jpg

Last edited:

Odysseus

Kustom Kartilage
Reaction score

Briefly: Mick Abrahams was Jethro Tull's guitarist for "This Was" and he then left/was sacked from the band and he formed Blodwyn Pig for IMO some inspired rock 'n' blues albums before he subsequently left both the band and the music business. For many years he sold life insurance, was a swimming pool attendant etc until he got the urge to reform the Pig in 1990's and continue to make albums and perform live, still with his unique and wonderful guitar playing.

Inspired indeed jeffrey! Another unsung performer and band. One of my favs is Variations On Nainos off of the Getting To This LP.

Sweaty

ThE OtHeR rAmOnE
Reaction score

This a great thread, not many people talk about this band anymore, what a shame as they are fantastic.

jeffrey

Alive & Well & Living In
Reaction score

This a great thread, not many people talk about this band anymore, what a shame as they are fantastic.
It is an interesting thought that had Mick Abrahams not been sacked from the band, what the direction of Jethro Tull would have taken. The story goes that Mick was sacked for his unwillingness to do more that a certain number of gigs per week or travel with the band to the States. He maintains he left of his own accord. No matter, there seems to have been a power struggle, for want of any better phrase, between him and Ian Anderson, and Anderson won.
So if you want to hear Tull as it might have been without Anderson, and after "This Was", the two original Blodwyn Pig albums, "Ahead Rings Out" and "Getting To This" probably provide the answer.
Mick's book, "What Is A Wommet" provides a great life story of him and elaborates on his dismissal from Tull. It's available from Mick's webste http://www.mickaby.freeola.com and before anyone asks, no I'm not his agent. :think:
If you are contemplating buying Blodwyn Pig/Mick Abrahams CDs, all the official studio ones are worthy, as well as one or two live sets. However, there are two or three official live sets which are, to say the least, no better than a good bootleg. If you can get to hear these first then that would probably the best idea. I've tended to stear clear of these, at the present time, so I can't comment on the quality of the live stuff.

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

Briefly: Mick Abrahams was Jethro Tull's guitarist for "This Was" and he then left/was sacked from the band and he formed Blodwyn Pig

''This Was'' - great album.

I like Blodwyn Pig, especially the first album, ''Ahead Rings Out''. A nice blues jazz rock album.

Here's two pretty cool instrumentals...

Leave It With Me

The Modern Alchemist

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.