1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Black Sabbath With or Without Ozzy?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Abyss' started by doswizard, Apr 7, 2018.

Are You Still a fan of Black Sabbath without Ozzy and Bill?

Poll closed Jul 7, 2018.
  1. Ya!

9 vote(s)
    64.3%
  2. No way!

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  3. Kinda

4 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. doswizard

doswizard "That Which does Not Kill Us makes Us Stronger!"

I thought this way for many years myself. What are The Doors without Jim Morrison? Or The Rolling Stones without Mick Jagger? Judas Priest without Rob Halford? However..........

I learned to give credit to the fact that musician's can hold together over the course of many changes. Ozzy is no different with his solo career; nor was Dio. I'm just sayin!!!!!!!!!!!

There is no need to ignore Black Sabbath based upon the fact that they have changed internally.

o_O

2. Riff Raff

Riff Raff The Kevin Owens Show Staff Member

Ozzy was never Sabbath to me. It was the other members with the music. The evil music sound they had could have been done without Ozzy if anything I think he gets far too much credit.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    doswizard likes this.
  3. SanguineRemedy

SanguineRemedy Bloody bliss!

Ozzy's hauntingly dark vocals put the edge on the band's sound. Geezer and Tony are their core, undeniably. Bill is an underappreciated drummer, one of the best in metal, I kind of miss him.

Dio did a good job with them but he didn't fit in as well as Ozzy to me.

But then again, Ozzy departing from Sabbath was the best thing that ever happened to him.

Frankly, all of Sabbath's vocalists were pretty good... But Ozzy was their best. Paranoid, Master of Reality, Sabotage, how can they be contested? And Ozzy was there.

Porch Monkey and doswizard like this.
  4. doswizard

This is exactly how I have felt for a long Time; but then I was like, what is all this crap about the singer? Isn't it the Song?

Dio never bothered to cover any old Sabbath tunes, but if he had?

Ozzy always made a Great deal about covering Sabbath.

Go figure........

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  5. Sharp Dressed Man

Sharp Dressed Man Down South Jukin' Staff Member

Absolutely. I've enjoyed every incarnation of Black Sabbath, even albums like "Born Again" (I like this one more than any of the albums with Tony Martin) and "Seventh Star". That being said, my favourite Sabbath line-up has always been and will always be with Ozzy.

Magic, joe, Porch Monkey and 2 others like this.
  6. doswizard

I see there are still a lot of Sabbath fans out there who agree it's okay to change. I appreciate this, because I still think there is good music involved with Sabbath, but even I myself got 'hooked' like a Drug on the Original lineup and refused to take anything else into View. I'm not quite sure it was a bad thing that Ozzy departed; he met Randy and off they went! Gotta love that, but at the same time; the other members shouldn't be abandoned in the dust or linger in the Shadow of the Great Ozz!

:gnite:

7. Lynch

Lynch Here for the cookies and the tunes

I loved much of the first 6 Sabbath albums (NSD and TE are mostly trash). The Dio era(s) was incredible! Martin had a few very high quality albums. Losing Ozzy could have been a game changer. But losing Bill didn't really change anything in my opinion, other than the face behind the skins. His drumming was good in the 70's, however he was the single-most replaceable member of the original 4.

8. Porch Monkey

Porch Monkey Senior Member

Ozzy's lyrics were certainly darker than Dio's, which always seemed a little contrived to me. Never really followed them after Dio though.
    Ozzy is more Sabbath to me than others.

Magic and SanguineRemedy like this.
  9. Porch Monkey

Porch Monkey Senior Member

I think sometimes it is the singer too, but Ozzy and Ronnie were both great in that regard. Although I kind of think of them as two different bands. I think Iommi's guitar playing picked up a notch with Heaven and Hell.

doswizard likes this.
  10. doswizard

This is Awesome because right now I am listening to 'Rainbow in the Dark' - Dio

What does it say about a band like Sabbath to say........

It's the Singers Fault. Dio did some kick ass shit without Sabbath and so did Ozz, but the whole purpose of this thread is whether or not You still enjoy Sabbath!

:headbang