Black/Death Metal

Wicked Death Killa

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me what the difference is between Black and Death Metal? I listen to both but I guess I don't I have a musically inclined enough ear to tell the difference. Hell, I use Black and Death Metal interchangeably (yeah, I know I'm wrong for that). More often than not I just use Death Metal instead of referring to a band as Black Metal. So someone, please enlighten me on the difference between the two (in layman's terms).

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lyrically and musically death metal is different to black metal. Vocals and guitar sound tend to be higher in register with Black Metal not to mention Black Metal tends to lean more towards occult/satanic themes too. Death Metal has the blast beats and fast riffing but not as focused on setting an atmosphere and lyrically most tend to be more gory or political lyric related.
Death metal also uses more downtuned guitar sound and the vocals range from growls to screams also through to gutturals. Black Metal tends to be more shrieking screams.

It really doesn't require to be into the music to know the difference. Its easy to tell the difference if you pay attention enough to the music.

Lynch

Here for the cookies and the tunes
Reaction score
Riff: maybe link a song for each style, that clearly shows the difference between the two. Not saying your description isn't good, makes sense to me, but for those who are NOT in the know regarding the differences, reading and hearing it are two very different things and I think a musical example would really be a good addition to your explanation.

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
OK that is a fair request. I will firstly post up a black metal song. Band is Immortal. Musically Immortal covers exactly what I said about the vocals and the higher register and depressive guitar tone.

Emperor with the same style as Immortal.

Now I'll grab a Cerebral Bore song which shows the guttural vocals that you hear in Death Metal. Guitar tone is downtuned in comparison and the focus is not on atmosphere.

Another Death Metal band Autopsy which again covers the same things as the Cerebral Bore one but uses Death Metal growls instead of gutturals.

Sharp Dressed Man

Down South Jukin'
Reaction score
It really doesn't require to be into the music to know the difference. Its easy to tell the difference if you pay attention enough to the music.

This! I think there's a distinct difference in the two styles, you will quickly pick up on it, if you compare a couple of tracks from some of the legendary names in both genres. Keep in mind, there are different types of black metal (old school, symphonic, etc) and there are different types of death metal (Florida, Swedish etc) and to makes more a little more complicated, there are bands who mix both genres (Behemoth and Belphegor to name a couple).
But try to compare some videos from a couple of the big names in black metal like Emperor, Darkthrone (except tracks from "Soulside Journey" which is actually a death metal album *sigh*), Burzum, Dimmu Borgir etc with some big names from death metal like Morbid Angel, Obituary, Cannibal Corpse, At The Gates etc and you'll quickly notice some clear differences between the two genres (but of course also between the individual artists, even within their genres).

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Indeed but to really just compare the two genres use a band or two that just follow the simple black and death metal formula. :tongue:

LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Two sub-genres of metal that I don't collect, the vocals on one hand put me off, and the subject matter of the other does the same.

Too bad cause the music in a lot of these genres is good and I could listen to it.

Alice Cooper had a good anecdote about meeting one of Black Metals' most infamous characters, Alice expected him to be a real bad ass died in the wool Satanist, and he meekly asked Alice for his autograph like any other normal fan.:D

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HoustonBoy

Members online