LG

Fade To Black
Reaction score
Re: Billy Squier

That's one of my favorites too Foxy.

B

Blitz

I'm a huge fan of Billy Squier. I grew up listening to his music, and I have his "16 Strokes: The Best of Billy Squier. One of my favorite songs from him is "My Kinda Lover".

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

I stumbled on a cool find from Billy not too long ago from his fifth album. Plus it features Freddie Mercury on guest vocals and piano. :grinthumb

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

^^^That's one of my favorite songs from "Don't Say No". It's a great song to roll down the highway too. :grinthumb

Groovy Man

I'm Not Like Everybody Else
Reaction score

^^^That's one of my favorite songs from "Don't Say No". It's a great song to roll down the highway too. :grinthumb

:steering:

Yeah, makes me drive crazy!...or crazier!
:heheh:

Nah, I'm a cautious driver....as long as no one's in my way!

:lmao:

Anyway, I just thought of another good Billy Squier crusin' tune - ''Keep Me Satisfied'' from the ''Emotions in Motion'' album...but youtube doesn't even have an audio video for that tune....and that just wrong! :mad

or ''It Keeps You Rockin' '' either!

:banghead:

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score

Anyway, I just thought of another good Billy Squier crusin' tune - ''Keep Me Satisfied'' from the ''Emotions in Motion'' album...but youtube doesn't even have an audio video for that tune....and that just wrong! :mad

or ''It Keeps You Rockin' '' either!

:banghead:

Well outside of the "Don't Say No" album and more specifically "The Stroke" Billy's not really remember too much these days....which really is so sad...

Travelin' Man

Reaction score

Well outside of the "Don't Say No" album and more specifically "The Stroke" Billy's not really remember too much these days....which really is so sad...

Damn straight, Cosmic Harmony! I don't think that Squier gets nearly the recognition that he deserves. Don't Say No was an absolute ASS KICKER and Emotions In Motion was a worthy follow-up.

Anyone else have Squier's Tale of the Tape? It was released in 1980 and has a song called "You Should Be High Love" (don't ask for the YouTube video....it hurts my soul - I think it's Patton Oswalt on a drum kit :D ) that was a portent of things to come. Pure Squier.

I was lucky enough to have seen Squier at the height of his fame. It was just after Emotions In Motion released and it was one of my favorite shows. Billy brought the house down.

Dairenn

Recording Artist
Reaction score

My dad played me "The Stroke" (a cassette he made of the FM broadcast) and I was speechless. It really gets your attention by the way the music constantly comes and goes... This song has got to hold the World Record for most rests in any music written for the rock genre. Every other note, there's a stop for much of the recording and it punctuates the hell out of the song.

I kinda like the Lo-Fi production quality on all of Don't Say No. It doesn't even sound dated to me. It's just music without abusing the studio for sonically impossible wizardry you commonly hear everywhere else (whether we're talking about this era or the era of the 80s). They didn't go nuts with the effects; you had a bit of slap-back echo on Billy's vox and that was about it. When they DID use effects, the contrast was so sharp that it got your attention.

Just a great, great piece of rock recording. Loved that album completely.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

A really cool acoustic version of "The Stroke" off the Happy Blue album:

Stroke Me Blues

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members