Votes: 30 50.8%
  • Bruce Springsteen

Votes: 29 49.2%

• Total voters

darklands

everything's broken, and my Stacys are soaking wet
Reaction score
Re: Billy Joel vs. Bruce Springsteen

That may be however his biggest commercial success was in the 80s. He had 4 albums hit #1 and another go to #3. And one of those #1s was the 3-cd live album which carried a hefty price tag and to date has sold over 13 million copies.

But you're right. My favorite album from him, Darkness On The Edge Of Town, was a 70s release. But he has released some very good albums in the 2000s. The Rising, Magic, and Working On A Dream are all strong albums and every bit the equal of of his first 2 albums or The River and Born In The USA. I would rate only Darkness and Born To Run over those 3.
'Magic', yes; but 'Working on a Dream'?!!, No! - he's yet to redeem himself (in my eyes) for that one....

darklands

Reaction score
Re: Billy Joel vs. Bruce Springsteen

I would dispute that last comment. Bruce did get a little lost in the 90s but since his return to recording with the E Street Band, he has released 3 albums that are just as good as his 70s and early 80s output.

The Rising, Magic and Working On A Dream are all excellent albums and while Devils And Dust might not be as good as those three it's certainly better than Nebraska or anything he released in the 90s. I might also add that all 4 of the above albums reached #1 on the US charts.

Have to disagree (sorry) (just my opinion, obviously); Nebraska is a better album than any you've listed (even Magic, which isn't bad) - though it is personal taste. Working on a Dream is largely bad! (Queen of the Supermarket?!!). No. 1 is not necessarily a good indicator of quality (how long were they no. 1 for?). Those albums aren't even in the same league as his earlier stuff - even The Rising comes across as a bit false.
For me his output has been questionable ever since Tunnel of Love (probably relates to him finding love and getting settled). I always kind of hoped he'd split up from Patti (not really) so that he could write another great break-up album!
I'm getting round to trying to come up with a Best Of list (which isn't three CDs long!).

darklands

Reaction score
My latest Springsteen Best of list has about 38 tracks on it - bit of work to whittle it down.... - that was a sort of Best Best of though!
Remembering the point of this thread - my latest Best of Billy Joel list has 40 songs on it....

Can't really state who's the 'better' artist, never mind which of the two would be my favourite. Probably go for Springsteen (got way more Springsteen bootlegs and played his stuff way more), but they both run deep and I couldn't suggest one is 'better' than the other. Given Springsteen's more recent offerings, Joel did the right thing by stopping recording! [I keep holding out hope for the next Springsteen album - imminent - but I'm not actually really very hopeful after Western Stars].

I don't think either artist can be considered 'deeper' or more genuine and I think some of Joel's (and Springteen's early) lyrics are under-rated. I'd probably say (for me) Springsteen has done better albums (but he's also done some worse ones!) - some of Joel's songs are up there with the best of Springsteen - just more light-weight maybe (lighter - not really meaning that disparagingly).

Would be amusing to play Top Trumps; Springsteen vs, Joel songs....!

Sorry to dis the thread, but all the posts (well, almost all) have just stated a personal taste.

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magicmoments

Staff online