Best solo artist of the 70's

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score
Re: Who had the best solo career?

Heh!! Funny nobody said Cliff Richard! ;-)

Some good names mentioned, Eric Clapton, Paul Simon, george harrison, Stevie Nicks, Van Morrison, Neil Young.

I also like Don Henley from the Eagles and Glenn Frey as well! And I'm not sure if they were in a group but James Taylor, Jackson Browne are great musicans which had great solo careers! Steve Winwood is also another good one too! :D

billtjr51

Reaction score

Heh!! Funny nobody said Cliff Richard! ;-)

Some good names mentioned, Eric Clapton, Paul Simon, george harrison, Stevie Nicks, Van Morrison, Neil Young.

I also like Don Henley from the Eagles and Glenn Frey as well! And I'm not sure if they were in a group but James Taylor, Jackson Browne are great musicans which had great solo careers! Steve Winwood is also another good one too! :D

I have never heard of him. I read he was huge in the UK, but not here in the USA. He is obviously very good!

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

The name Cliff Richard sounded familiar to me, but to be honest I couldn't place my finger or mind to any songs by him..............so I looked him up.

He was a bit before my time, just a tad, and had a 50's early 60's pop sound.

Living Doll this song made it to the US charts in 1959.

All in the Game also made it to the US pop charts in 1963.

He did well in the UK, Australia, and Canada....way back when, so yes, you could say he was a very successful solo artist. :bow:

BUT he wasn't a ROCK artist.

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Jeff Beck.

Jeff Beck is awesome, too.

The Pump a great song, used in the movie "Risky Business".

I am inclined to believe there are way too many great solo artists to pick just ONE.

Dang now I want some Lays potatoe chips :cheers:

CP/M User

Ace in the Hole
Reaction score

billtjr51 wrote:

I have never heard of him. I read he was huge in the UK, but not here in the USA. He is obviously very good!

Magic wrote:

The name Cliff Richard sounded familiar to me, but to be honest I couldn't place my finger or mind to any songs by him..............so I looked him up.

He was a bit before my time, just a tad, and had a 50's early 60's pop sound.

Yeah it's not of great importance, but they always brag about Cliff Richard's hits over 4 or 5 decades. I don't particularly care for his Solo music - the music he did with The Shadows was heaps better IMO.

I should mention Gene Clark which has some wonderful and totally underrated albums in the 70s. My favourite is his first - Gene Clark which some people call the "White Light" album in 1971.

whitelightcd.jpg

He then did "No Other" in 1973 which is interesting as well!

nootherpromo3.jpg

Gene Clark was perhaps best know for being with the Byrds! :)

Another interesting one is Glenn Campbell which had an excellent Solo Career after his brief period with The Beach Boys! :D I've got a feeling I'm gonna get shot for mentioning Glenn Campbell! :wtf:

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

glenn-campbell-mugshot.jpg
mateba_357_magnum_440x255.jpg

There ya go CP/M, you can do the honors! <giggles>

Find member

Latest posts

Forum statistics