Best solo artist of the 70's

jimmyn321

Banned
Reaction score
Which band member who quit, started their own career, and made an album, was the best or had the most success? Was it Joey Ramone? , Mick Jagger, maybe Robert Plant. I would have to say Paul McMartney had the most success and was good, and John Lennon wasnt as successful as Paul but he was great.

Orion

I'm A Member
Reaction score
Re: Who had the best solo career?

ericclapton461oceanboulrr4.jpg

Last edited:

TeleCat

Blackmore's Advocate
Reaction score

I guess Ozzy would be #1 as far as success after Black Sabbath. Dio was big post Sabbath especially Holy Diver/Last in Line era.

Robert Plant had a great solo career. I like his 80's output as much as Zeppelin! (Just saw the Little By Little video yesterday).

Ian Gillan had a successful solo career in Europe with chart success after his DP days with The Ian Gillan Band and Gillan.

Joe Walsh had a successful solo career pre and post Eagles.

Ted Nugent after disbanding the Amboy Dukes was huge in the mid to late 70's.

These are some of my favorites that spring to mind.

Drummer Chris

Reaction score

The big solo successes that come to mind for me are:
Macca
Percy Plant
Don Henley
Ozzy
Clapton
Stevie Nicks
Tina Turner-of course!

AboutAGirl

oh, be nice
Reaction score

I also gotta pick on Robin Trower for emerging from Procol Harum to become even greater.

Also.... I gotta say, outside of teh solo Beatles, Neil Young is probably the most successful of the post-band superstars. He quit Buffalo Springfield and then got even better. Then he quit CSNY and became huge. Been huge ever since.

Reverend Rock

cool music and hot coffee
Reaction score

I have always enjoyed Paul McCartney's solo and Wings work. I know that a lot of people think it really pales against his Beatles work, but I think that's mostly a lyrical issue. Interestingly enough, I think he ended up having a pretty big influence, both lyrically and musically, on a lot of what followed in alternative music of the the 80s, 90s and beyond. His careless approach to lyrics and his sometimes rough and forever eclectic approach to studio production and instrumentation were prophetic of the work of such bands as REM and U2, along with their countless wannabes and imitators.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online