Best Metal Bands from the USA

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Although the USA isn't well noted for having the best metal, there are still some pretty awesome bands that hail from the USA. What is your favorite metal band that is from the USA?

Mine:

Van-Halen10.jpg

Van Halen

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
I don't consider Van Halen to be metal myself, Magic. To me they are one of the Big Four for the epitome of hard rock (along with AC/DC, Guns N' Roses, and Aerosmith).

My pick for the best metal band would probably be...um...I think these boys:

dreamTheater.jpg

:grinthumb Dream Theater :grinthumb

Soot and Stars

I AM SOOT!
Reaction score
My favorite metal band is from Utah
(unless someone wants to dissect them and say they aren't metal to which I'll say "Nope! Don't care!" "Oooooh wait a second! Ummmmm.....Nope, still don't care!!!! :heheh:)

The Used
TheUsed.jpg

Magic

Woman of the World
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
You are right in one sense, Cosmic, and wrong in another. Eddie Van Halen was a smokin' guitarist. His solo's could rival any heavy metal band.

IMHO, hard rock and heavy metal ride a fine line of definition. "Running with the Devil" to me is metal. It contains all the elements of metal; there is guitar distortion, loudness, solos, heavy bass and drums, and a screaming vocalist.

I think Van Halen fell on both sides of the fence, some songs are rock to hard rock and others fit into the heavy metal category.

Cosmic Harmony

Reaction score
You are right in one sense, Cosmic, and wrong in another. Eddie Van Halen was a smokin' guitarist. His solo's could rival any heavy metal band.

IMHO, hard rock and heavy metal ride a fine line of definition. "Running with the Devil" to me is metal. It contains all the elements of metal; there is guitar distortion, loudness, solos, heavy bass and drums, and a screaming vocalist.

I think Van Halen fell on both sides of the fence, some songs are rock to hard rock and others fit into the heavy metal category.

Oh yes I can agree. I mean, I understand exactly why Van Halen can be considered metal but personally just don't see them as a metal band.

METALPRIEST

Reaction score

Oh yes I can agree. I mean, I understand exactly why Van Halen can be considered metal but personally just don't see them as a metal band.

I see both sides here and agree they rode the fine line. When I was a kid, there was enough leather on that first album that made them metal. Alot of the metal crowd I hung with back in the day would hold them high on the metal pedestal along with Raven, Accept and the like.

Songs like Dance The Night Away (sure) would be a bit more rock and roll...but Atomic Punk, On Fire and Runnin' With The Devil had all the elements of a great hard working metal band, trying to make a broader statement within' the genre itself. :grinthumb

Oh and harmony....Dream Theater...GOOD CALL my friend!! :cheers2

...and DIO R. Evans :cheers2

Riff Raff

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Plenty of good bands came from America.
Pantera
Korn
Metallica
Megadeth