Best Live Rendition of Tommy 70s

vancutan

Reaction score
Hi. I've listened to Live at Leeds, Live at Hull and Live at the Isle of Wight Festival, but can't decide on which has the best rendition of Tommy. Leeds sports arguable the best recording quality, but sounds as if it were recorded in a cave. However the mix is excellent, bringing all instruments (vocals included) to the forefront. Even the Ox can be heard effortlessly! Hull, on the other hand, also features excellent sound quality (I don't really mind the clicks), but Pete's guitar sounds a bit tinny at times, when compared to Leeds' fat-soundng and crunchy tone, the vocals sometimes disappear, and at some point at the beginning of a certain song, they forget to start singing, creating an awkward effect for the listener. And Wight's recording quality is simply terrible, but the performance is terrific. For all its sloppiness (both in recording, and in some "misfires" such as certain off-key vocals), it's still the rendition that provides a truly "cathartic" feeling at the end of the opera. Plus, the guitar tone is magnificent. However, the bass and the drums sound muffled. So, which is your favourite recording, and why?

Dude111

An Awesome Dude
Reaction score
Welcome to our home!!!

I have only heard the studio version of it so im afraid I cant be much help.....

joker1961

Skaven Swear Runner
Reaction score
well for me and imho it has to be " Live At Leeds" its the first live recording I`d heard.

recgord27

Walking down a dusty road
Reaction score
For me it's also "Live at Leeds" which to my ear is much better than the Isle of Wight recording. My favourite version is still the original studio recording :grinthumb

vancutan

Reaction score
Hi. I've listened to Live at Leeds, Live at Hull and Live at the Isle of Wight Festival, but can't decide on which has the best rendition of Tommy. Leeds sports arguable the best recording quality, but sounds as if it were recorded in a cave. However the mix is excellent, bringing all instruments (vocals included) to the forefront. Even the Ox can be heard effortlessly! Hull, on the other hand, also features excellent sound quality (I don't really mind the clicks), don’t let me down lyrics but Pete's guitar sounds a bit tinny at times, when compared to Leeds' fat-soundng and crunchy tone, the vocals sometimes disappear, and at some point at the beginning of a certain song let me love you lyrics, they forget to start singing, creating an awkward effect for the listener. And Wight's recording quality is simply terrible, but the performance is terrific starboy lyrics . For all its sloppiness (both in recording, and in some "misfires" such as certain off-key vocals), it's still the rendition that provides a truly "cathartic" feeling at the end of the opera. Plus, the guitar tone is magnificent. However, the bass and the drums sound muffled. So, which is your favourite recording, and why?

Hey hey, i've fix it!!!

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online