Best Lead Singer

Sox

Avoiding The Swan Song
Reaction score
^^^ Can't argue with that ... Yep Paul Rodgers.

A young Robert Plant very, very close second, David Coverdale, RJD, Ian Gillan, Bon Scott, Myles Kennedy and for me Peter Green in his day.

Vehicle

Aging Metalhead
Reaction score
Of all front men I've seen in person, this guy who blew anybody and everybody away. Had the audience in total control from the opening note of Jailbreak.

It still gives me goosebumps when I think about how the crowd was completely still and silent and mesmerized when he did Still In Love With You.

And this was in the midday hours, outside. No lighting or darkness to help the ambience of the song. Just the man's 'star presence'.

Don't know if he was the best, but was certainly the best I've ever seen in person.

16313010298_47ffa0dceb.jpg

Mistral Wind

Reaction score
well well well...

Ronnie James Dio, Freddy Mecury... and Ian Gillan...
but also... Robert Plant...

oh well... I just can't decide... ^_^

Jonny Come Lately

The New Kid In Town
Reaction score
As far as quality of the singing goes there would be many up for the mantle. I'm not saying he's the best, but I would throw David Gilmour into the mix for the pure variety he's produced over the years. When he first joined Pink Floyd he was known for being able to mimic other singers, and that's what he did when they were touring in '68/'69 - mimic Syd's vocals. Since then he's demonstrated the ability to change his vocal style to fit the song. It could be a fairly harsh delivery (Young Lust, Time, Money) or a smoother one (Fat Old Sun, Comfortably Numb).
He's obviously more renowned as a guitarist, but I think he's been under-rated as a vocalist.

I totally agree with this - over the last week I've listened to both Animals and The Wall in full and while Roger dominates the vocals on these two Animals, David's vocal on the first half of Dogs is fantastic - he does happen to singing great lyrics but he also sings them with real power and emotion - think of sections like 'It's gonna get harder, and harder and harder, as you get older...' while The Wall album does give allow him to demonstrate his versatility as a vocalist, compare the hard rock vocals of Young Lust (partly inspired by The Nile Song from the More soundtrack album) with the yearning voice of The Show Must Go On and the fearful Goodbye Blue Sky.

Although he doesn't have a voice which is lovely in the traditional sense by any means I think Roger is often a great singer for his material. For me his best vocal work apart from on Shine On You Crazy Diamond (which knackered his voice, partly explaining why Roy Harper sung Have A Cigar) was on Animals. His voice really suits the angry, satirical lyrics of Pigs (Three Different Ones) and the intense, driving Sheep.

Hurdy Gurdy Man

Reaction score
I agree with a previous post by Lynch that stated that these things are more likely to come down to personal faves rather than who truly is best.Too much contrast in styles among the all time greats.Same thing with items such as when Rolling Stone issues their lists of best songs and albums.I personally could NEVER name my favorite in either category.I don't think I could even name my favorite Beatles or Stones song.Just in the individual cases of those bands alone,I just don't know how ANYONE can narrow these things down.Now you can certainly make a list of the MOST IMPORTANT songs,albums and singers as far as history has proven,but that would probably be the end of line for me in this area.I'm a huge Beatle buff,so I guess John Lennon would be more than a half decent choice here.I believe he finished #5 on RS's greatest singers list.And tkitna,I like your Ann Wilson selection.Not a hell of a lot of people would give her mention here,but regardless of that fact,one terrifically talented vocalist.Great range.

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edmerka

Members online

No members online now.